How To Get To Palau??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ushen

Reaction score
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone knows the shortest route from Malaysia to Palau?? Is it via Malaysia - Japan - Guam - Palau or Malaysia - Phillipines - Palau?? Which airlines should I take?? Is there a Micronesia Airline??

Another question, do you think that it would possible to take a boat from Burma to the Andaman Islands instead of going through via India??

Ushen:
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone knows the shortest route from Malaysia to Palau?? Is it via Malaysia - Japan - Guam - Palau or Malaysia - Phillipines - Palau?? Which airlines should I take?? Is there a Micronesia Airline??

Another question, do you think that it would possible to take a boat from Burma to the Andaman Islands instead of going through via India??
hi there!

i'm no expert but from what i've just found out:

it's faster to go MALAYSIA-PHILS-PALAU... yes, you take continental airlines (formerly known as continental air micronesia... or i think still is hehehe) i think it's a 5hour flight from manila

andaman via india? sounds faaaaar... i saw this one dive service that tells you to fly in via PHUKET (thailand), a 4-5 hour drive south, then cross into Burma... then sail to the islands... try this site: http://www.ten-ninety-eight.com this is where i got my info...

hope it helps

Jag

For the Andamans you can take a 90 minute flight from Bangkok on PBair during the diving season. costs 350 US and flys once a week. Although you need to be hooking up with a boat when you get there as the best sites need to be accessed from a liveaboard. Probably better to book a liveaboard and then sail over with the liveaboard (1.5 days each way).

There will be at least 6 Phuket based LB boats doing the Andamans this coming season. Its a long trip in open seas so choose a good one!

I myself will be making the trip in December - one word of caution, even though I have not been yet, the information I got on diving around Port Blair was that the diving was miserable and vis very bad.

Ushen:

There's a new airline called "Palau Micronesia Air" which put some price pressure on "Continental Micronesia" which was the only airline servicing the area so far...
http://pidp.eastwestcenter.org/pireport/2004/October/10-01-04.htm

The airline is headquartered in Palau with services to six destinations, including Yap, Guam, Chuuk, Pohnpei, Manila, and Darwin Australia.

Continental/Air Micronesia will do a good job of getting you from Manilla to Palau, either direct or through Guam (good diving in Guam as well, you know.)

That would be a lot quicker than going through Tokyo/Narita.

Thank you all for the information. Appreciate it. How are the dive sites in Palau & Guam? Are they comparable to the Andaman / Nicobor islands or the similan islands??

I have just come back from Palau and left from Manila. I flew with Continental Micronesia and they are pretty good. Flights are about $500 return but if you haven't booked you diving yet, try MDA (micronesian divers association), they organised the trip for me from the Philippines. Based on 2 people it was about $1500 per person for 10 nights, return flight, 5 days of 3 dives and 2 days of 2 dives. Plus a day of kayaking and a trip to the Jellyfish lake. Your breakfast at the hotel is included as is lunch on the boat (they even have sushi as an option). All the diving was with Sams tours who are very professional. You even get a free reef hook! Take a look.

Ushen:
Thank you all for the information. Appreciate it. How are the dive sites in Palau & Guam? Are they comparable to the Andaman / Nicobor islands or the similan islands??
Guam is kind of average if your from Malaysia, its not bad if you live there but i would not make a special trip, unless it was en route to Palau for a warm up, that said i like the blue hole and the double wreck in the harbour.

Palau is great one of the worlds best, some awesome sites, blue corner is still my all time favorite. But of course Similans are still pretty good, go up a notch if you get whale sharks as well.

Palau is going to cost you more but slightly better diving, does that help?

Thank you Dialeemo & Albion...
The information is very helpfull... looks like I've got to plan way ahead for all these trips. It costs a BOMB for me...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom