How to handle violation of a dive site rules (Solo Diving)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please read Edd Speaks...he only had to risk his life to save 4 divers who were not trained for the dives they were undertaking. http://www.nsscds.org/files/uws/v40n2/uws40vol2web.pdf

You appear to have lost all sense of perspective. We're talking a diver doing a shallow dive in a benign quarry. Not exactly dangerous and the OP has no idea if the guy is trained, experienced or any assessment of skill level. Nothing to suggest (i) there'd be an incident or (ii) if there was anything would happen as you'll find the dive area itself is covered as its got a stated policy that was violated. Scaremongering on what is a common, benign situation.
You're also assuming somehow makes divers perfectly safe at whatever they choose to do.

The OP could do with someone following him around on all his dives for a while criticising everything from his kit config to decision making to buoyancy control just to see how he likes people interfering with his leisure.

You appear to have lost all sense of perspective. We're talking a diver doing a shallow dive in a benign quarry. Not exactly dangerous and the OP has no idea if the guy is trained, experienced or any assessment of skill level. Nothing to suggest (i) there'd be an incident or (ii) if there was anything would happen as you'll find the dive area itself is covered as its got a stated policy that was violated. Scaremongering on what is a common, benign situation.
You're also assuming somehow makes divers perfectly safe at whatever they choose to do.

The OP could do with someone following him around on all his dives for a while criticising everything from his kit config to decision making to buoyancy control just to see how he likes people interfering with his leisure.

How do you know it was a shallow dive? The OP did not say it was or was not, he probably doesn't even know it himself, since he was not on the dive. Some quarries can get quite deep. What is your definition of Benign? How many accidents/ deaths are there per year in quarries? I've been involved in several accidents (thank goodness no fatalities)in the past several years I have been diving at my local spot. Let's face it, it is likely private property & there are rules,.. just like rules in your household. You own the property, you expect those rules to be followed. This is no different.The rules were violated. Why do you think the rules are there? Just to be arbitrary? Perhaps, but likely not (typically for liability & safety). The best thing the OP can do is ask the owner how to best handle the situation. Breaking rules on private property, sir, IS NOT & will never be leisure. Get over yourself.

This is getting really funny, if one feels the need to be a do gooder tattetale and save the dive site from one of those bad ol SOLO DIVERS by all means run an tattle and everyone will praise your name for all eternity, the savior of local diving!
In my opinion it will work out just backwards from what you think, most people do not like tattletales and I suspect you may become unpopular BUT that is just my opinion.
Once again my advise MYOB.
popcorn.gif

How do you know it was a shallow dive? The OP did not say it was or was not, he probably doesn't even know it himself, since he was not on the dive. Some quarries can get quite deep. What is your definition of Benign? How many accidents/ deaths are there per year in quarries? I've been involved in several accidents (thank goodness no fatalities)in the past several years I have been diving at my local spot.

I guess that it would be best to have all divers accompanied by a trained dive professional, then there would be no rule breaking or accidents ever. In addition there would be more paying jobs for said professionals.

Let's face it, it is likely private property & there are rules,.. just like rules in your household. You own the property, you expect those rules to be followed. This is no different.The rules were violated. Why do you think the rules are there? Just to be arbitrary? Perhaps, but likely not (typically for liability & safety). The best thing the OP can do is ask the owner how to best handle the situation.

I don't expect my guests to enforce rules or inform on other guests as it would probably make our gatherings quite small. I have had people around that are like that and I had to show them the door as they were doing more damage to personal relationships than the few broken rules because someone forgot. As a business owner it would be good to have informers, as I would not have to hire staff to monitor my grounds. Or it may be that the few transgressions, which will happen, don't bother me that much.

It is always up to the individual to determine their course of action. After informing him of the rules in polite conversation, as I have stated previously, I would have probably asked the guy if he wanted a buddy, as my friends weren't there and I came to dive, but that's just me.

Bob
--------------------------------------
I think that advocating unsafe and dangerous practices is both stupid and foolish. That is why I don't tell people to do what I do. Dsix36

Also, the rules need to appear "fair" if one wants them to be observed, both in what they address, and who they target.

Imagine in your home you have three kids of equal age. Two you allow to eat snacks in their room, one you do not. Most would expect the third child to circumvent the rule, and consider it mean for the other two to tattle to the parent, and stupid of the parent to design such an arbitrary rule in the first place.

This is getting really funny, if one feels the need to be a do gooder tattetale and save the dive site from one of those bad ol SOLO DIVERS by all means run an tattle and everyone will praise your name for all eternity, the savior of local diving!
In my opinion it will work out just backwards from what you think, most people do not like tattletales and I suspect you may become unpopular BUT that is just my opinion.
Once again my advise MYOB.
View attachment 188476
I am a solo instructor & as solo diver myself (why would I look at them as "bad"?), but I also follow the rules of the site I am diving. It's a little thing called respect (for the land owner)...... They own the land, they set the rules, whether I agree or not. It is REALLY that simple. How do you feel when a guest violates the rules of your household?

I guess that it would be best to have all divers accompanied by a trained dive professional, then there would be no rule breaking or accidents ever. In addition there would be more paying jobs for said professionals.

Why is that? The site in question here allows solo diving,.... as long as the rules are followed. Is that too much to ask? Apparently for some it is.

I don't expect my guests to enforce rules or inform on other guests as it would probably make our gatherings quite small. I have had people around that are like that and I had to show them the door as they were doing more damage to personal relationships than the few broken rules because someone forgot. As a business owner it would be good to have informers, as I would not have to hire staff to monitor my grounds. Or it may be that the few transgressions, which will happen, don't bother me that much.

It is always up to the individual to determine their course of action. After informing him of the rules in polite conversation, as I have stated previously, I would have probably asked the guy if he wanted a buddy, as my friends weren't there and I came to dive, but that's just me.

Bob
--------------------------------------
I think that advocating unsafe and dangerous practices is both stupid and foolish. That is why I don't tell people to do what I do. Dsix36

You are the land owner, it's your rules & your liability in the end. You run your business the way you see fit & I am sure the owners of this quarry run it the way THEY see fit.The site here in question does allow solo diving if certain criteria are met, if they are not, then there are ways, without violating the rules, to do it.

I am a solo instructor & as solo diver myself (why would I look at them as "bad"?), but I also follow the rules of the site I am diving. It's a little thing called respect (for the land owner)...... They own the land, they set the rules, whether I agree or not. It is REALLY that simple. How do you feel when a guest violates the rules of your household?

If you wish to respect the rules of the location (by the way I probably would also) that is your choice, if you wish to go tell on someone that does not obey the rule that also is your choice but improper in my opinion. You may have a duty to react if you work for the people operating the site but the decision not to follow that rule does not present a danger to or impact you unless you choose to get involved and I see no compelling reason to do so. I don't agree that a person at this type of a location is the same as a guest in private home but once again that is my opinion.

Last edited:
It does not matter the circumstances of the dive or the conditions that existed by any one diver. Last time I checked, unless you are directly affecting my safety or security - have at it. I ain't yo mama and nether is anyone else. If a dive site explicitly forbids solo, they took your money and they have their rules to enforce, it is not on me or my business.

I don't unload my shotgun or rifle before climbing hills, trees or crossing fences, although there are a lot of insecure, can't mitigate circumstances kind of people who would scoff at me for not doing it. Not that I'm lazy... The best game hide out is fence rows and I want to be ready.

I also dive solo 80% of the time, under some pretty challenging conditions. I like not having to split my attention from what I'm doing to what someone else is doing, unless they know something I don't and I'm about to learn something. Diving is not so much about skill, but is more about liability. A sense of preservation resides in all of us.

Not aware of the actual site in question here: is the rule just posted on a sign, or does the owner have someone who regularly enforces the rules? I am not saying that lack of official enforcement is cause for breaking said rule, but it could indicate a pure concern for protection from liability (for all any of us know is the owner just doesn't want to get sued by family members).

My thoughts: unless the owner has someone out there checking and asking questions, the owner is using the sign for CYA purposes and will probably just blink at you when you report rule-breakers. I have doubts that this particular diver is the first to violate those rules, and I doubt very much that the owner believes everyone abides by the words on a sign, regardless of the font.

If you want to make a difference in this situation, talk to the diver in a pleasant way. Relationships make differences in peoples lives.

One private individual talking to another is not a nanny state. Conversations (not lectures) and questions are a couple of ways we learn. Now one party or the other can cut it short, of course. Although if you do that by punching people, how are you not in jail and where was your lawyer when I got my divorce?

I've been asked questions or given suggestions by strangers. I listened and in a couple of cases after further conversation and evaluation took the advice that ensued and in others, I didn't.

Going to management? Well I can't think of a worthy example.... Wait, perhaps a rapist-nanny state-questioning-nazi-thug-poor parking / driving-burglarizing-ill equipped solo diver trying to break into a private cave?

Back
Top Bottom