How to keep ears dry on a liveaboard? AKA how not to get swimmers ear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I lost 1/2 week in Coz 5 years ago to an outer ear infection. Since then I mix my ear beer: 1/3 each - distilled water, white vinegar and isopropyl alcohol. In both ears after every dive 4 minutes in each ear. 200+ dives later and no more ear infections.

I've never done that many dives daily and for days, but I would think there is more of a likelihood of getting swimmer's ear or worse. As someone asked, have you had it or worse before? Anyway, I do this:
1. Wear a hood (swim cap if tropics, brought down over ears) or Doc's Pro Plugs. These 3 things prevent water from going far into the ear. Some will still get in.
2. Don't do any quick sideways turns and be careful to keep head straight (if possible) if donning/doffing fins in water. Don't fool around swimming upside down, etc.
3. Use Q tips after each dive (many disagree--no problems for me for like 50 years of swimming, etc.).
4. If water gets in that you can't "jerk" out, use ear drops. I use standard ones bought at LDS--clears it up in a very short time.

I am prone to Swimmer's Ear or worse. Haven't had it now for years.

Rubbing alcohol and acetic acid work well and are readily available. I like to add a shot of hydrogen peroxide for the fizz and added antibiotic action. You just can't mix the peroxide in though, you have to keep it dark until you use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom