How to keep money safe on a liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. I have decided to go dive in San Diego before the trip and buy a debit card in Mexico. Since it will have a PIN even if stolen, the money is not "lost". Additionally, a friend who went to Cuba said he had to use Western Union to get money and that is a way to have "secure money". I can go after the cruise to the Cuban Western Union office and show my i.d. or give the secret password and get money even if everything was stolen or lost.

Out of curiosity, do you believe the probability of loss or theft of your money is higher in Cuba than some other destination? As far as the theft part, Cuba is one of the lowest crime countries I have visited. It's my understanding that crime against a tourist is exceedingly rare. As for the possibility of money getting "lost"--maybe you envision it slipping out of your pocket or something--although that, too, seems unlikely, there are probably some good options for avoiding that, such as a money pouch you wear around your neck. It's not going to get "lost" while you're on the boat.

That said, I can't fault you for taking precautions on your vacation. Better safe than sorry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom