How to keep warm in a wetsuit in 40 water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rab:
Get as warm as possible between dives! I've got a FJ/J 7+7, 6.5mm hood (no bib), 5mm gloves, but only 3mm short booties. Got some concerned looks from the locals when I dove in Lake Michigan with exposed ankles.

Part of getting warm would be to eat/drink something warm/hot during SI (soup, hot chocolate, coffee, ...)

Good Luck!

-Rob

Well, if you're statying above 60ft, then this answer still stands, but if you're going to go deeper (much deeper) then plan to come up shivering. I did a 131ft dive at Gilboa Quarry during the GLWC Meet & Greet III and was quite glad to have only planned that single dive on Sunday before drying off and warming up.

-Rob

String:
You can waste 2/3 the cost of a cheap drysuit on a 7mm wetsuit, add more neoprene and add more wasted money.

It wouldnt cost much more to get a drysuit which will keep you warmer, more comfortable, enabled longer dives therefore more value for money AND safer.

Last time I checked, a good 7mm was $300-400, and a very inexpensive drysuit was $800+, and that's just for the suit. When you add hoses, drysuit training, and other various sundry, it can be much more. I figure my first drysuit will total closer to $1.5k-$2k. YMMV Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have one, and I would buy one right now, if it wasn't for that pricetag :icon10:

Mike

mikeloyco:
Last time I checked, a good 7mm was $300-400, and a very inexpensive drysuit was $800+, and that's just for the suit. When you add hoses, drysuit training, and other various sundry, it can be much more. I figure my first drysuit will total closer to $1.5k-$2k. YMMV Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have one, and I would buy one right now, if it wasn't for that pricetag :icon10:

Mike

You can buy a brand new O'Neill neoprene drysuit for $500, add $200 max for thermals that would cover you to 34 degree F temps. Less on the thermals if your temps are warmer. It's a great suit, best bang for your buck in my opinion.

My first wetsuit cost $450. At the time, the O'Neill drysuit was $750 plus $200 for thermals.

--Matt

If that includes valves, boots and hoses, that certainly sounds like a great deal! Since I'm new to drysuits, I don't know if there's any other costs to get started, other than a class, or course. Can you PM me with the name of the shop, or is that just Oneil's regular price? I might be getting a drysuit!!! Woo hoo!!

faulknerscuba:
I will be taking a wreck diving class in 2 weeks in the great lakes.
4 dives over 2 days in 40 degree water. Depth will be shallow no more than 60 feet. I have a 7 mm titanium sem dry ,7 mm boots, dry gloves and will put on my 1 mm under the suit. Any tricks to stay warm besides hot water after the dive ?? and should I put the 1mm on after the first dive?

Basic advice? Wear the 1mm for all the dives that way your weighting will remain the same. I would recommend a 1 mm hood under your standard hood as well. Bring a large cooler full of hot water to put the wetsuits in before donning them for the second dive. Make sure the wetsuits fit properly and there is not much water exchange.
I volunteer doing work dives on a dive park in the Pacific Northwest this time of year in 46 degree water and I wear a 3mm shorty, a 7mm farmer john, 2 sets of booties and a thin 1mm hood under my 7mm hood. Why all the neoprene? Our typical water exposure time ranges from 2 to 4 hours. I normally wear a drysuit but these work dives tear up drysuits.

mikeloyco:
If that includes valves, boots and hoses, that certainly sounds like a great deal! Since I'm new to drysuits, I don't know if there's any other costs to get started, other than a class, or course. Can you PM me with the name of the shop, or is that just Oneil's regular price? I might be getting a drysuit!!! Woo hoo!!

The O'Neill drysuit has integrated boots. The price includes the valves and hose. You can probably find the same suit at other shops closer than the shops I frequent in Massachusetts. If not it may be worth he shipping cost.

Good luck - I PM'ed you the details for this shop.

--Matt

I hate to say it, as some effects can be contra-indicated for diving, but a stimulant will help with warmth.

Pick your poison: caffeine; ginseng; ginko biloba; guarana; pseudephedrine.

The stimulant will increase your heart rate, which will aid in circulation, helping more of your body to stay warm longer.

Also: don't use *hot* water down your suit -- the shock from hot-to-cold-to-hot-to-cold will cause more problems for your body than just staying generally below warm. You could consider using water that's above room temperature... but don't go much warmer than that.

-kb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom