How to remove main o-ring from Ikelite Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skating101

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I purchased a Canon SD980IS and Ikelite housing for the camera. Ive used the camera several times for snorkeling and now the o-ring seems to be quite dry, how do you remove the main o-ring from the housing? The instruction manual mentions using an "o-ring removal tool" however one wasnt included with the housing and the supplier does stock the removal tool. They suggested just pulling it out with fingers? How do you guys remove your o-rings?

My glassblower friend fashioned me some toothpicks.

Corner of a credit card to start with then your fingers.

If you have a blow nozzle like the one in the link you can direct the air stream at the O ring and it will usually displace the O ring so you can extract it. The blow gun plugs in to your low pressure bcd inflator hose.
Always be carefull with O ring seats especially on plastic. One scratch and it may be finished.
33404 Low Pressure Hose Air Gun

Go to your local music store and get thin guitar picks :)

Perfect and won't knick the o-rings.

dhaas
David Haas Underwater Photography
dhaas is correct, AGAIN !. The absolute best O-Ring removal tool is a good ol' Fender Thin (or Medium if it's a thicker O-Ring) guitar pick, available at any musical instrument retail store. They're cheap, plentiful, and available all over the world for $0.25 cents apiece.

And here I thought I was the only one who knew about this "little know secret" :)

Corner of a credit card to start with then your fingers.

yep---kinda squeeze the oring up using your thumb & forefinger then put corner of CC under the small air space you created....

does it stretch the o-ring? how about putting in the new o-ring?

Unless the O-ring is so old that it really shouldn't be used anyway, it'll retain its size when you remove/replace it.

Back
Top Bottom