How to secure a 7 foot hose ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark_tamer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In the new year, I'm getting a new reg/octo.

In a near future, I want to get wreck diving and instructor certs. , so I'm getting a 7 foot hose.

The other day while at LDS, I asked Tec divers how to secure a 7 foot hose ??

:huh: 2 divers said that they just go two times around their body ???

Since I am one of those divers who hates accessories that are not secure and dangle, I would like to know what is the best way to secure a 7 foot hose to my BC so it does not drag, and easily accessible when pulling on it so it uncurls ??

I dive with a Zeagle Stiletto BC. Already on BC: uw camera, inflatable sausage with reel.

***Bought mountain climbing carabiners for additional clipping room !!!

It gets ran under a canister light on the right waist belt, across your chest, around your neck and into your mouth. If you don't have a canister light, you can tuck it under your waist belt.

Different ways to do this, but the way I prefer is actually not to secure the hose to the BC, but run the hose behind your back under your right arm (tuck under your canister light on the right side of your BP waist belt if you have one), up across your chest to your left shoulder, behind the neck and around to your mouth.

Sounds a lot more complicated than it is! Alternate Second should be bungied around the neck. Very easy to donate the primary second stage, duck your head and go to your alternate second stage.

Dive safe.

I saw a slick idea a while back. If you have two tanks bands you sorta loop the hose up and down under the bottom band with the reg sticking out the top so it's basicly on your right hip. Pull it and the whole hose is loose. If someone was coming in from behind for air they could grab it and if they get your primary, the alternate is in a solid location with no danglies. Not DIR, DIMY.....

There are a couple of problems with the folded hose arrangement. One is that the OOA diver isn't going to look for the reg where it ends up that way, and therefore will probably go for your primary. You then have to find the alternate reg.

Secondly, you cannot easily replace the hose and regulator if it turns out to be a temporary issue that was capable of being corrected short of gong to the surface.

The hose routing that goes under the retaining device on the right hip, around the back of the neck and to the mouth allows donation of the primary AND easy restowing of the long hose if the OOA issue is resolved. It's also very streamlined, and actually amazingly easy to get used to and to manage.

As PSD's we don't use 7' hoses. Just something else to get tangled up no matter how good you secure it..

Gary D.

Ok, so I guess the theory of once around the chest, over the shoulder is the best solution !!!

But there are a couple of things that bug me while I read your answers !!!!

- I have my secondary on my chest, just below my chin, on a surgical hose .... I know that an OOA diver will probably go for my reg ... so my secondary is right there for me to grab !!!

- But insn't the main purpose of a 7' hose for OOA assistance in cave or wreck diving, whenever 2 divers cannot go thru a small oppening. One goes on front of the other !!!

I'm not getting a 7' hose to show off my gear and being the better equipped diver on the boat !!!

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not mad or anything but if a diver is in need of assistance, should I be concerned about how I will be having problem rerouting my hose after assisting that particular diver ??

So far I haven't done deep dives with deco stops ... deepest dive was 33 meters ....
Maybe then will I understand what you mean !!!!

I don't want to be a good diver ... I want to be an excellent diver !!!

shark_tamer:
- I have my secondary on my chest, just below my chin, on a surgical hose .... I know that an OOA diver will probably go for my reg ... so my secondary is right there for me to grab !!!
If you are an aware buddy, you should be able to see your OOG buddy coming at you and have deployed the long hose by the time he/she gets there.
shark_tamer:
- But insn't the main purpose of a 7' hose for OOA assistance in cave or wreck diving, whenever 2 divers cannot go thru a small oppening. One goes on front of the other !!!
I like mine for teaching. I can give up my primary and still have some distance between the diver and myself so I can see the rest of the class.

There are situations where the problem can be solved. A free flow can sometimes be fixed underwater. A lost reg that the diver just can't find can be fixed. Certainly, when decompression diving, a gas switch problem may be fixable. I've come very close to turning both valves off during a drill. In all of these cases, being able to restow the hose would be very nice.

The origin of the 7' hose is overheads where a single file exit may be necessary. You can certainly accomplish an air-sharing ascent in open water without a 7', or even a 5' hose. It just gives you more options.

Being an excellent diver really isn't related to your equipment, so long as your equipment is rational and well-maintained. It's about thinking through the decisions you have made about that equipment, why you have what you have and why it is put together the way it is, and having the skills to deal with situations using the configuration you have created for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom