How to spot a "bad buddy" - have you ever refused a buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had completely the opposite experience - just one shop though - and I sort of expected this everywhere. Now I know better.

On a recent diving trip, the tank strap on my BCD came loose. My husband/buddy noticed and came over to fix it. Neither of us are seasoned divers so the DM was paying attention and came to watch. Noticing his (probably flawed) technique, he motioned "watch me" to my husband and showed my husband how to correctly fix it. As a newbie, I sort of like that level of service and ongoing training.
In my experience, most divers are very helpful and are happy to give a hand / demonstrate something when required.

As uncomfortable as that may feel, agreed.

The transition which might be challenging now is realizing you are responsible for your own dive. Now the person you dive with isn't a paid professional who was there to help every step of the way. Your buddy will be another diver trying their best to stay safe while enjoying their hobby and is one who hopefully has the desire to share this adventure with you.

Being humble and accommodating to those who are willing to help you gain experience will go far in attracting good buddies. It's to you fellow divers I owe my thanks.

In directly answering your question:

A bad buddy is one that increases my risk of death (or injury) while decreasing my enjoyment (peace or joy). If the person I'm diving with does both consistently, I'll find another buddy.

Here are some of the dryland hints which I've noticed lead (could possibly but not necessarily so) to discovering a "bad buddy" underwater:
1. Chaotic
2. Overly critical
3. Inexperienced
3. Bragging
4. Unfamiliar equipment (new or newly serviced)

Perhaps that helps start the list.

Cameron

HI OP,

Cameron's advice is worth re-reading.

I would ad, stay close to the DM, so that if your insta-buddy needs help the DM can help. Tell the insta-buddy on deck before you splash, that your intent is to stay with the DM, and that he, the insta-buddy, needs to follow your demand, or he will be diving solo. Be nice but firm. Have a smile on your face.

markm

If you are looking for a potentially good insta-buddy in your early stages of diving, the following may be helpful.
1. Find a diver that is putting together his/her own gear in a relaxed, methodical way, is not waiting for the dive crew to put it together, and does not have dive gear spread all over the deck.
2. The diver knows exactly how much weight he/she needs regardless of what the DM thinks.
3. Per Northernone above, is not trying to impress everyone with stories about all the wonderful places he/she has dived.
4. Does not have a GoPro on a stick.
5. Someone that does not treat you like a turd in a punchbowl just because you are a new diver.

Whats' wrong with a GoPro on a stick? (asking for a buddy) :)

Seriously, I'd change that to "GoPro on a headband". I told the new guy that he'd lose that GoPro strapped to his head within 45 seconds of getting in the water. He exceeded my expectations by losing it 15 seconds after he got in the water. He didn't even know he had lost it. Once underwater, you can't feel that elastic strap on your head.

Whats' wrong with a GoPro on a stick? (asking for a buddy) :)

Seriously, I'd change that to "GoPro on a headband". I told the new guy that he'd lose that GoPro strapped to his head within 45 seconds of getting in the water. He exceeded my expectations by losing it 15 seconds after he got in the water. He didn't even know he had lost it. Once underwater, you can't feel that elastic strap on your head.
I have worn a GoPro on a headband on over a hundred dives without incident.

Of course, before it ever got wet the first time I made a chin strap for it. It ain't going anywhere.

I have worn a GoPro on a headband on over a hundred dives without incident.

Of course, before it ever got wet the first time I made a chin strap for it. It ain't going anywhere.

Smart modification. This guy's was straight out of the box.

Back
Top Bottom