How to try before you buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joe10540

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I know that caves are dangerous and should not be attempted without proper training but how does someone know if they would like it enough to spend the money? I enjoy diving in springs and looking at rock formations and I think I'd be interested in exploring some caves nothing too intense though. Is there an intro program like there is with diving to try it before you buy it? I would be ok with driving up to north Florida and spending a day with an instructor, even paying for services but buying a whole course up front not sure if I'm gonna like it makes me nervous.

I have no cave training at all. But, I know I want to. I know this because I want to Mexico on vacation last year and did 2 cenote dives. They're basically cavern (not cave) dives and the dive operators there don't require any more training than OW. In fact, my cenote dives were numbers 5 and 6 for me after completing OW. But, they were awesome and convinced me that I definitely want to get training and do even more.

So, one option would be to take a vacation and go dive some cenotes. If you don't like it, you can always dive in the ocean for the rest of your vacation. I stayed at an all-inclusive resort in Playa del Carmen and was able to dive cenotes and Cozumel reefs. The cenotes were a bit of a van ride to get to, but the Coz reefs were a short boat ride. And the resort was cheap!

Plan B would be take a Cavern class. That's not a huge commitment and doesn't require much in the way of new equipment. I think maybe just a light and a reel? It would be more expensive than a "Try Dive" I guess. But, you'd get a lot more out of it, too, I think. Still without spending the huge chunk it would take to go all the way through full cave certification.

I know that caves are dangerous and should not be attempted without proper training but how does someone know if they would like it enough to spend the money? I enjoy diving in springs and looking at rock formations and I think I'd be interested in exploring some caves nothing too intense though. Is there an intro program like there is with diving to try it before you buy it? I would be ok with driving up to north Florida and spending a day with an instructor, even paying for services but buying a whole course up front not sure if I'm gonna like it makes me nervous.

Good question and easy answer.

Come up to Ginnie Springs with your buddy and dive the "Ballroom". It is open to OW divers and has been sterilized for the most part. Is it still an overhead environment, yes. But, it will allow the option of tasting what it is like to be in an overhead environment and still be able to go at your pace. Clear water, zero silt, and wide open.

I had always told my wife when I started diving that I had zero interest in that "cave" stuff. I was a wreck diver and I wanted to dive on big badass wrecks and blah blah blah. I still love wrecks but I would say the springs/caves are my favorite now. I went to Ginnie Springs on our way back to Georgia from Crystal River and as soon as I stuck my nose in the Ballroom, I knew I wanted to progress down the cave diver path. The reality is, once you get your training and some minor equipment changes done, it is CHEAP to cave dive. I would say you need to sign up for the FALL MEGADIVE that will be the weekend of Oct 28th-30th and you can come up and meet a bunch of people AND get to try your hand at some cavern/cave diving!! Win win!

I already have plans for that weekend unfortunately but I'll have to find a buddy and make my way to ginnie. That sounds like a relatively safe way to explore my options. Maybe someone here who has dive the ballroom before would be willing to meet me there one weekend and buddy up I know they do not allow single divers there.

Do a cavern course. Make sure it is recognised by a cave certification agency to give you entry to the next level if you like it. Personally I like a wreck dive better but my wife like the caves and I do enjoy the less demanding ones and the spectacular visibility. Don't let people push you into it too fast and stop when you feel you want to. I have found the skill level needed is a really good way to improve all your diving as well so it will not be a waste of time or effort. Given your location I would think a whole host of opportunities are on your doorstep.

My buddy and I are suppose to be there the weekend AFTER the Mega Dive Nov5-6. We would be more than happy to have you tag along with us in the Ballroom.

You'll probably like it. Unless you are in any way claustrophobic, then not. Caves are not particularly dangerous with proper training - no sharks! But very dangerous indeed without it. Cavern class is a way to find out and its a good taster. Worst case it just adds to your general diving education and you'll have had some fun.

My buddy and I are suppose to be there the weekend AFTER the Mega Dive Nov5-6. We would be more than happy to have you tag along with us in the Ballroom.

I just might take you up on that I am off that weekend and my wife has to work so perhaps a trip up in in my future.

Cave diving is more then just caves. Swimming the ballroom might give you some idea and is worth the trip.

Diving a cenote is even better. You will get a bit more of the "cave" experience. But probably not too practical.

Best is a cavern course. You will not only "see" the experience but also learn some of the attitude, skills and equip needed to safely dive caves. It will give you more of a IRL experience for cave diving then offered by either the ballroom or cenote choice. And as stuartv pointed out, you may leave with skills that will serve you well in OW diving.

If I don't have fears of things over my head I'll definitely look into a cavern course and maybe even a cave course but I think I'm more worried about not being able to look up and see the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom