How to use a safety sausage (SMB)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would deploy it on the 'way up' ie while ascending.....also one per person is enough AND most boat captains want this so they know how many divers are in this group ie area.....good luck & just practice it a time or 2, there are a few things you'll learn that will be helpful in using it that you'll only learn(find out) thru deploying it...

One of the things not mentioned in all this good advice is that when you do practice deploying under water (preferably after watching your mentor do it) is to do it only on a very shallow dive, or after your safety stop if done after a deeper one .. the first time can find yourself going upward and it takes a bit to arrest your ascent :)blush:)
... also, I found that watching the particulate matter in the water was a better feedback for keeping my depth than trying to watch my depth gage, you just rig the SMB out of the courner of your vision, then look at it when ready/during deployment

I have one similar to this: Large Safety Stop Signal with Dump Valve reviews and discounts, ScubaToys
You can inflate it on the surface if you hold the bottom under the water a few feet. It will hold the air in with a sort of one way valve in it. It can only be delfated with the OP valve. It can be inflated orally by just blowing into it, in fact that's how I inflate it to dry it.

Maggy,

I actually have two SMB's....one has an opening in the bottom which will open and allow me to easily inflate it using my alternate and will then seal again. This also has a pressure relief valve for if I put too much air in it.

My second marker (sausage) is a sealed unit which I can easily inflate on the surface to signal others of my location if needed. This one is a real challenge to inflate on the bottom and very unforgiving if you overinflate it. This one stays in my pocket while the other one gets clipped close to my reel.

I believe that two units in this case is a good idea. It sounds like maybe your situation may be similar.

Supershark, I will learn how to deploy it from underwater. It's a good idea.

Do I need another SMB for the surface situation I describe? Or will you say that this one is enough? Still confused about if possible to deploy it someway if you already are at the surface.

Sorry that I don't totally "get it" yet.

Maggy- as others have said there is a difference between safety sausages and SMB's, though they can be used interchangably.

Sausages have valves and are designed to be inflated on the surface and held high or waved to call attention to yourself. Think visual whistle.

SMB's generally have open bottoms, are designed to be inflated at depth, and floated up to mark your position before you ascend. They don't work well as wavable flags since since they lose air when lifted out of the water.

Ideally, you'll want to learn to deploy an SMB before surfacing, since as others have noted it adds to your safety, but this requires a greater amount of skill and good bouyancy control. As you inflate an SMB underwater, you'll be holding an object of increasing floatation which will tend to pull you up with it until you let go, and then there'll be the line which hopefully will run free and not entangle you. With practice this is actually easy to manage, but is a skill that has to be learned and used regularly to keep sharp.

If most of your diving will be with organized groups, and your primary concern is the offchance possiblity of separation, I suggest you keep it simple and buy a valved safety sausage and inflate it after surfacing. Consider that if you're separated from the group, you'll already be anxious and won't want the added stress of dealing with an unfamilar task and another set of problems.

DAN had a pretty thorough piece on SMB deployment and safety in their Alert Diver publication last spring. The article might be available for download from DAN Divers Alert Network.

I've tried to get into the practice of deploying my SMB on every dive, usually when I'm heading for my safety stop. I'd recommend picking up a good reel and practice the skill in confined water a few times. Current can sometimes make this amusing drill to watch.

Thank you all for your replies. I have learned a lot today and now I understand this much better than before.

My intention when I bought this smb, was to buy a safety sausage. I didn't know there was a difference. Now I do.

I will leave for a dive trip on Friday, so I don't know if I have time to buy a safety sausage before that, but I'll bring my smb, and we'll see if I will use it. Depends on if someone can help me learn how to use it. Otherwise I might be able to find a safety sausage in the dive shops at the destination.

Thanks again - really appreciate all your good advises.

I find it amazing that this skill is not taught as part of basic open water diving. Some of the agencies should look at including it in diver training. Good on Maggie for seeking advice. I did a number of PADI courses and never inflated a safety sausage or SMB. I dont remember anywhere where it was asked for or maybe it was that my instructor skimmed over it. It wasn't until I started Tech training where it became a requirement of almost every dive. The 1st time I was quite embarrissed that I did not know exactly how to tackle it.
Was anyone else taught this in OW, AOW, RESCUE etc.?

Back
Top Bottom