How to Use a Squat Toilet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark Derail

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
The article is linked; since online articles tend to disappear, I've copied the important relative loo bits in this post.
Please, let me restate that, Pretty Please With Butter On Top, share your personal experience on the squatters, so us future travelers won't be caught unprepared!

How to Use a Squat Toilet - Features - World Hum

Beginning Squatting: I called Doug Lansky, a traveler and travel writer who knows the hardships of squatting. “It’s difficult,” said Lansky, who edited a book called, There’s No Toilet Paper on the Road Less Traveled.
“There aren’t any helpful directions, like a seatback pocket, that show you how to use a squat toilet. You have to sort of find your own technique, whether you’re up more on the balls of your feet, or whether you get a little more comfortable and put your heels down. And if you get advanced, you can even bring the newspaper in with you. That’s sort of the double black diamond mogul run of squatting.”
World Hum travel advice guru and Vagabonding author Rolf Potts has also seen a few squatters in his day. “In places like India, and many parts of Asia,” he told me, “a bathroom won’t have toilet paper. It will have a little cup of water. Basically, after you’ve done your business, you take your left hand and wash the exit hole of fecal matter, then wash your hand. That’s why nobody shakes hands with their left hand in most of Asia and the Middle East, because that’s your ass-wiping hand.”
Dr. Jane Wilson-Howarth is probably the world’s foremost expert on excretion, a real Buddha of Bowel Movements, and she’s not afraid to get into the details. “My technique when I’m teaching volunteers about to go abroad,” said the author of How to **** Around the World from her UK office, “is that when you’re learning, you need to take everything off below your waist: socks, shoes, pants, underwear. Then squat over the toilet. Pour water over your bum, and with your left hand, just whittle away with your fingers and try to dislodge any lumpy bits while pouring water. And that’s actually not too unaesthetic, because any mess that goes onto your fingers comes off in the water.”
Advanced Squatting: Do above. Read The Wall Street Journal Asia.

What to do: Most important: Cultivate the right mindset. Relax, pretend like you’ve been doing this for years. Remember, using your hand is (according Wilson-Howarth) actually more hygienic, not less, than using toilet paper. “You get good bacteriological cleaning with just rubbing your hands together with soap under running water four times,” she says, and cites a study which says you don’t even need soap. “It can be ash or mud, just rubbing your hands together under water with some kind of washing agent. Even dirt from the river bank will give you good bacteriological cleaning.”
In other words, the dirtiness is primarily in your mind, as Potts found out one day on the road. “I think it was when I was traveling through Southeast Asia that I eventually got caught out,” he told me, “and was forced into this mental power situation where I just willed myself to use the water. It was very strange. We’re not culturally conditioned to have that kind of intimacy with our butthole. So I just sort of had to—it’s sort of like riding a bike, or having sex for the first time—I just had to figure out what I was doing. Then, of course, I washed my hands extensively afterwards. But that’s when I realized it’s not that big of a deal.”

What not to do:
* Don’t ignore your pockets mid-squat. “Don’t lose your wallet, cell phone or passport,” cautioned Dean Visser, who has lived in Asia for more than 15 years. “If you do, chances are you’ll have to tell someone how it happened. I speak from hard-won experience, Little Grasshopper.”
* Don’t use glossy magazine pages. (See: Smearing)
* Don’t be afraid to ask questions. “It’s a difficult topic,” said Howarth-Wilson “Just because they’re embarrassed about it, people don’t even know where to have a **** sometimes, so they won’t ask where the right place is to defecate. They do a dump and run, then everyone is ending up encountering this stuff.”
* Don’t lean back too far.
* Don’t forget to pour a little water in, if it’s a porcelain/metal squatter, before you go, to help wash it all down afterward.

Preparation:
It’s a good idea to get a few, er, dry runs in while still at home. Because with practice, you can get it down. After all, as Lanksy and others pointed out, we are biologically designed to squat. It’s the fine tuning we lack.

“The technique,” said Wilson-Howarth, “is to use a lot of water so you’re not actually scraping **** off your ass. What you’re doing is facilitating washing it off. But if you’re a learner at this, and you don’t take your bottoms off, it splashes onto your pants and you look as if you had an accident, and everyone laughs at you when you come out.”

Traveling benefits: Mastering the squatter will save you tons of heartache, stomachache, time, comfort and embarrassment. It works; it’s clean; and it will give you the fearlessness to travel anywhere.
Besides, you’ll never step out of the toilet in that Nigerian bar looking like you just stepped out of the shower.

Just a like? No posts?

C'mon, scuba divers on this board have traveled the World, you can share your squatting experience. Why be shy about it?

// IOW this is a shameless thread bump

+1 for the Bum Gun. This is for the more discerning Shytmaster.
Bum_Gun_Installation.jpg

However not much fun when the wife turns it up to full power to clean the bathroom floor and forgets to back it off afterwards, thus requiring you to have an emergency shower and then clean the bathroom walls again.... and a bit of the ceiling.

The joys of international travel- never forget having a green poo in the jungle behind my mate's place in the Philippines on my 30th birthday.

What's the big deal? It's natural just to squat and go. I can't count the number of times I've pulled off the road and done it in the bush in the last 12 years (which is why I carry some paper towel in my glove compartment all the time). There's no public comfort room, bathrooms, whatever you call them....in Belize. At least where I live they are far and few between. I kind of like doing it in the bush....unless there's tons of mosquitos.
My 3 year old son had it mastered by 19 months old. I'd post a picture of him happily squatting on the toilet seat but my wife would kill me.

I have done the business in about any locale you can think of. I have gotten pretty good. however, nothing is more disturbing then walking in to a non squatter Porto John in some middle eastern country to find out that the llocals used it as a squatter and didn't quite aim properly.

Was working with the Indonesian Navy and had to do my morning business. I walked into the head and noted that it was a squat toilet with three stones on a shelf. I asked my buddy what the stones were for and he informed me that it was Indonesian Toilet paper. Well the sphincter muscle slams shut and I waited until we got back to the hotel. A loooooooooooong day. Carried toilet paper with me after that.

I've never used a squat toilet, but I think I'd do ok. I'm 4'10" so I'm way too short to do the "girly hover" in a port-a-potty so I step up on to the ledge where the seat is and then squat. Pretty tricky when you've been drinking.

I'd rather squat in the woods or over a squat toilet then go in most public U.S. restrooms.

I was exposed to these during my days in the Air Force when we deployed to Turkey and Iran. We called them bomb sight latrines. I can tell you from personal experience that it can't be done wearing a flight suit.

Walking into a latrine facility and seeing a squadron mate squating over a hole in the floor wearing only boots was startling and the subject of a lot of ribbing. Good thing we didn't have cell phone cameras back then.

I've never used a squat toilet, but I think I'd do ok. I'm 4'10" so I'm way too short to do the "girly hover" in a port-a-potty so I step up on to the ledge where the seat is and then squat. Pretty tricky when you've been drinking.

And that is the reason I have held it for MANY MANY hours while in Iraq.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom