How was Gilboa Quarry on New Years?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber Rabbit

Floppy Ear Mod
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wondering how the diving was at Gilboa Quarry New Year's day. I couldn't go because of previous plans;-0 Was it frozen yet? My dive buddy kept saying we shouldn't cancel our land plans because Gilboa would have ice on it and I'm not trained for ice diving (yet).
Ber :bunny:

Can you believe it? Everybody copped out. Sickness, injury, every other excuse you can imagine. Even my wife/buddy bailed. And it wasn't even frozen. I was less than pleased, but I don't solo, so...

We're going this weekend (FOR SURE) and hope it's not frozen.

from a friend I heard there were 50+ divers there, viz excellent, water temp low 40's ... trout in mating coloration and the males getting the hook jaw as well

Bummer was a trout was found dead after some diver abuse somehow ... evidently some of the trout have been found with knife slashes!

:fury: Now somebody's slashing the fish with knives ?!?!?!!!:fire: The guy who owns Gilboa is already plenty "annoyed" with the people who think that carving their initials on the plane is a cool thing to do. What is his reaction going to be to this? It's amazing to me how some morons are so thoughtless that they are willing to screw a good thing up for everybody. "Let's see if we can impale the fishy on our knives...how fun!"

Too bad I've never witnessed one of these clowns in action. I've watched enough episodes of Sea Hunt to know how to cut an air hose. :drown: (This was intended as a hyperbolic comment. Please note that CheeseWhiz does not condone or encourage vengeful, malicious or destructive acts of any kind. )

I hope we all get to enjoy Gilboa a little longer.

Can't believe these people are screwing up such a great site! I've got a better idea for anyone you catch messing with the trout CheeseWhiz. Keep fish food with you whenever you're down and douse the perpetrators, those trout attack! We would do that for fun, put some food in front of our masks and the trout actually hit you in the face as they come after their lunch! My buddy took her glove off and a trout bit her finger! Good thing their teeth aren't sharp or he would have taken the whole thing off and swallowed it! She said her finger smelled like fish breath when she got out of the water :thumb: :yuck:

Wish we could have made it up that weekend, I wonder if Bruce is turning into a closet CAD? Maybe he was just being polite by not canceling our land plans but then again :hmmm:

Ber :bunny:

That sucks indeed! Harming one of them is like harming your dog, they're so tame.

We went last weekend. Water a bit under 40. Not many of us there. Fish were just crowding around us, apparently they don't figure they're getting their deserved food quota.

"...her finger smelled like fish breath... " Now there's a straight line that not even CheeseWhiz will comment on!!

But I agree with you, BR. I've never fed the fish, but they can get pretty aggressive when they're hungry. The last 3 times I've been there with my dive buddy, we've been the only ones in the water, and the fish are plainly looking for a handout. It's hard to see where you're swimming, with all the fish swarming around!

It doesn't sound like the Quarry has cooled off too much. It was in the 40s back in October. I seem to remember a thermocline about 40feet, and below that...:cold:

As soon as I get my dry suit....

Hey!! Are you honeymooning at New Paris? Or maybe having an underwater ceremony there?

Ya know, I never would have thought anything of it if you hadn't pointed that quote out--YIPES!
The trout are a bit of a pest when practicing underwater photography too. My buddy and I were the only ones in the water and he was showing me how to use the camera. Naturally the trout were swarming, looking for handouts. When we got the pictures back we saw rainbow streaks on some of the pictures but no fish, just green water and a diver. Thought something was wrong with the camera until we saw a fish tail in the corner of one photo. The streaks were evidently caused by the strobe light bouncing off of a nearby trout and for some reason their rainbow colors were being projected onto the film even though the fish wasn't in the photo! Odd, very odd!

Never thought about a short honeymoon camping at New Paris. We're getting married beside his mom's pond just a few miles away in Brookville, OH. I have to go back to work Sunday night but we were looking for something to do on Saturday night (the honeymoon is our previously scheduled vacation in August). I think I might suggest the New Paris thing. They have a really nice campground complete with diving, swimming area in the quarry, swimming pool (campers only) and I think they'll have a small restaurant and ice cream shop open by then, HMMMM!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom