How would you Edit this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
oh, pretty, lisa

i like the little guy... he looks like a thug just hanging there :wink:

Yeah, now that I can see his eye I like him too and won't try to take him out. Lisa where do you find the colour cast tool in Elements 2? I really like what you have done.

Alison

Thanks Andy and Alison :D (these new smilies are a drag!, thank goodness I know how to get the old ones
32.gif
)

This is where you find the color cast tool. You then either click in the lightest (closest to white in original moment) or darkest (closest to black in original moment) area. I had clicked in the white part of the eye of the larger cuttlefish. As you continue to work on the picture the colors will, so to say, evolve. Have fun playing
4.gif
!!!

justleesa:
This is where you find the color cast tool. You then either click in the lightest (closest to white in original moment) or darkest (closest to black in original moment) area.
Actually, it just has to be anything neutral -- any grey will work, and in my under and over exposed photos, the brightest and darkest spots don't seem to work as well as something in the midrange.

I just keep clicking around, then using the reset button and doing it again until I find a place that works. In a lot of cases, using sand as the grey reference will get things close enough for a good final adjustment using the middle level sliders in a levels adjustment layer.

It also seems to work a bit more predictably if you go into preferences and change the eyedropper to 3x3 or 5x5 pixel sample rather than a single point sample.

Getting in on this game late - also, this is my first attempt at posting a photo, so if I jack it up, my apologies -

I took a crack at this, and would be curious how close it is. I also cropped to remove the coral, and I think it helped bring out the second guy and improved the overall composition.

In Photoshop, I used the "Adjsut Curves" feature. I think this is the best color correction tool there is. If you've never used it, play with it and see what you think. The default is general tweaks to all three colors (so really, it just lets you play with the white balance). But you can also go in and adjust each individual color channel, (Red/Cyan, Green/Magenta, and Blue/Yellow) which is where the real fun is. Just go to the top and us the pull down to chane it to the channel you want to edit. Then move the line by inserting points to change the concentration in one direction or the other.

RiotNrrd.

Riotnrrd
Yes I like the cropping and the colour is pretty good too. I am not sure I have adjust curves in photoshop Elements 2 but I will try playing with individual channels more. To date I have just used auto levels; levels; and the adjustment for cyan. What I like about the advice I have received is that it has taken me back to lots of my previous photos to try it out there too.
Thanks
Alison

Back
Top Bottom