How would you Edit this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa:
which one is closest to how it really was?

I think the Mandrake or Kodak ones are closest. While they made me think of flying pigs I think the colour was beige rather than red or orange tinted..
Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Alison

Alison:

You got me started. Shame, shame <big grin>.

I agree with the comments regarding enhancing or extracting the background cuttlefish. I am going to stick to color correction.

I loaded your picture into PSE3. In this version you can access the autolevels by clicking Enhance>Auto Levels or by a Shift+Ctrl+L or by clicking the Auto button in the Lighting drop down menu in Quick Fix mode. The PSE3 smart slider works some but does not produce the best adjustment. The color features in Quick Fix mode are useless. The photo filters are similarly useless.

You can try the eyedropper method by selecting Enhance>Adjustments>Remove Color Cast. You click on the eyedropper icon and then on spots in the photo you think should be neutral gray. It produces some improvement but not the best method for your photo.

I got my best results in Standard Edit mode. I made a copy of the background layer for work purposes (Ctrl-J). PSE has a neat feature borrowed from full version Photoshop called Adjustment Layers. They can be accessed by choosing Layer>New Adjustment Layer, or by clicking on the adjustment layer icon in the Layers palette (it is the black and white circle with the diagonal line which triggers a drop down menu). The beauty of adjustment layers is the ability to go back and change the adjustment. The adjustment is not applied until you flatten the image or merge the layers down. Contrast this with repeating adjustments on the same layer which destroys a lot of file info and looks crappy quick, and you can only backtrack in Undo History.

I selected the Levels adjustment layer first. Here I tried to bring out some color in the cuttlefish and ignored the background. I adjusted the Red, Green, and Blue channels independently. You can do this with the “Channel:” drop down menu at the top of the Levels dialogue box. You can fiddle with the Shadow, Midtone, and Highlight sliders until you get what you want. My “Input Levels” settings were:

Red: 0, 0.71, 107
Green: 31, 0.83, 255
Blue: 24, 1.00, 255

This improved the cuttlefish (to my taste at least) but left the background with a cyan to blue color cast. To address this I called up another adjustment layer containing the Hue/Saturation feature. In the “Edit:” drop down menu at the top of the dialogue box I changed my selection from Master to Cyans. I then used the + eyedropper to select parts of the image with the cyan to blue color cast. The pointers at the bottom of the Hue/Saturation dialogue box will show you what you selected and you can manually slide them around if necessary. I left the Hue slider alone but dropped the Saturation to -60 and the Lightness to -17. This neutralized the background color cast but did not affect the cuttlefish much.

I resized the image (90ppi and 8" width, constrain proportions, resample image, bicubic sharper) and then applied an Unsharp Mask (Amount 74%, Radius 0.9px, Threshold 3). Attached is the result.

Although PSE2 does not have adjustment layers, you should be able to produce the same result by applying the Levels adjustment and then the Hue/Saturation adjustment to the same layer.

This is a fun image to work with. Thanks for posting it. Hope this helps. If you have trouble with any of my steps, let me know and I will try to walk you through.

—Bob

AlisonCuttlefish_2.jpg

Thanks ScubaBobuba for a very clear description of what you did. I hadn't played around with selecting colors in the hue/saturation adjustment layers.

Here's a couple shots I did --- The colors in your edit looked too bright and artificial, but I liked the higher contrast. So to mellow out the color I took your edit and combined it with a simple PSE3 colorcast correction layer. 40% opacity in color blend mode, then 100% opacity in luminosity mode, both onto a simple PSE3 colorcast corrected layer.

For the 2rd shot, I started from scratch with the original, did colorcast using upper left corner as grey, then levels, then unsharp mask.
After color cast correction, the levels settings that looked best to me were:
R 27 1.06 221
G 29 0.66 183
B 17 0.52 170, with output level reduced to 236.

Then on the master RGB, I cranked the center slider to 1.31 to brighten it up a bit.

One visual cue I was using is that the broken coral chunk in center right section probably should be yellowish.

Hi Charlie:

Nice work! I think your second image is probably true to what Alison saw. We will await her input. I love saturated colors, so your comment regarding my adjustment is right on.

---Bob

Bob and Charlie.
I can follow all Bob's steps in Elements 2, although I didn't bother with the resize - why would you do that?
And by doing it I have learned some general lessons for elsewhere - thank you for the step by step advice Bob.

Charlie's second image is the closest yet, I just don't remember the vivid orange or green shades. At the weekend I'll see how much of that I can replicate in Elements 2 or I might just have to upgrade to Elements 3.

Thank you both

Alison

I done this with ps7 your photo is also there. I do realise you only have ps 2.They both have similar features. I used what i call the "5 min fix". Start with auto colour then colour balance then lighten the image to your satisfaction. You could realy go too far with some images and loose the originality of the whole thing. Use the kiss method and the whole thing will give great results. Have fun. By the way Great shot!!
Stuey2

alijtaylor:
Bob and Charlie.
I can follow all Bob's steps in Elements 2, although I didn't bother with the resize - why would you do that?

Alison

I am glad you skipped the resize. You posted your image at 180ppi which is a nice resolution to work with. Most monitors only display 72ppi (mine gives me 87ppi) so I downsized to save space in the upload to my gallery. I resize at 300ppi if I am going to print photo quality.

Glad I could help.

---Bob

OK, here is my try.

I have PSE 2 & 3, but used 2 for this photo. I first selected the lightest spot with the color cast tool. Then ran auto levels, auto color correction, auto contrast. I then ran the manual levels and played around until I got what I liked. With the selection tool I selected the head of the cuttlefish and brightened it a bit. Finally I adjusted the sharpness of the picture.

oh, pretty, lisa

i like the little guy... he looks like a thug just hanging there :wink:

Back
Top Bottom