How would you handle this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would ask a simple, direct question, thus: "I get the impression you want me to go elsewhere. Is that so?"
If he whines about your buying a few items elsewhere, I'd say "Your business with me is what I buy here. Do you want more or not?" Don't get looped into discussing business you do outside his store - *that's* not *his* business.
On the other hand, when it's time to service the regulator you bought somewhere else, be prepared to take it where you bought it or to pay a premium at the shop where you didn't buy it. Unless, of course, he doesn't want to service it at all - which would be tres stupid when he's justified in charging a premium to make it worth his while.
As a small business owner, I know that folks are going to buy elsewhere - I just tell 'em "that's ok... when they can't fix it where you bought it, bring it on down and I'll make it go" - and when they do, I make it worth my while.
Rick

Hello,

If your certified to 40% and you ask for a 39% mix then they have no room or excuse to tell you that's to 'hot'. If you state you want X% and you get Y% then you can refuse it and make them redo it. The mistake of NOT refusing it could cost you your life. Bottom line is it's none of their business what you do with it or what profile you will be doing, it's their job to fill it to your exact specifications. Personaly I would be reporting this to the agency it's a MAJOR safety violation.

Ed

Originally posted by sharpenu
I have been a customer of my local LDS for a couple of years, having spent several thousand dollars in the store (classes, supplies and trips) I am one of the "regulars", I help with classes as an assistant (for free) and I am there ALOT.

talk to the owner
but remember that if you help out classes for free then you have to have a insurance if something goes wrong.....
the other part is that if you are certified for 40% then there is no way he can give you something else but what you want up to 40% !!! Does he do your dive planning ? if NO then just tell him that. you pay for that gas and as a customer you have the rigth to get what you pay for. if you feel that you are not welcome at the shop, then tell him that and why and then go elsewhere !

good luck

As others have said, a private face to face conversation is the way to go. No shouting matches please. Be up front with your purchases at the other stores/places and tell him why.

I think Dee had a good question Did you give him the opportunity to meet or beat the prices at the other places?

As with any kind of relationship (with a LDS, charter company, or personal) honest communication is the way to go.

I don't agree with the cold-shoulder routine, and I assume that you know how to properly plan a nitrox dive. I'd have a go at the face-to-face discussion as others have said.

That said, a shop can refuse a 39% fill if they have specific knowledge that its use will violate commonly accepted safety practices. They might be liable if they didn't refuse the fill.

Example: Joe Blockhead orders 2 tanks of 40% and says he's going to use them as his bottom gas on the Andrea Doria - a :waydead: bad idea. The shop should point out that the proposed use is beyond the maximum depth for the requested gas mixture, and refuse the fill. I wouldn't want to provide fills for any diver that ignorant. :bonk:

But assuming your IQ is a positive number, you wouldn't do such a thing. So long as you have the training and are planning a dive shallower than the MOD for the gas mix, then the shop should provide the fill.

Drew Sailbum,

I do not believe that any shop holds the right to give you a mix that you do not ask for. They do have the right to either fill to your specifications or refuse the fill.

Had I got the fill and the shop owner filled my tank outside of my specifications and refused my specs there would be legal action to deal with.

Ed

To answer everyone, I always look at that particular LDS first, before I go anywhere else. I even tell them what the other price is. If they can even get close, I buy it there. But when they are beaten by a large margin, I get it somewhere else. There have also been times when they don't carry the item or brand I am looking for.

The dives in question for the Nitrox were all in the neighborhood of 65 feet, well within the 1.4PO2 restriction.

I have sat here reading all the post to this and I have to agree with some of them and dis agree with others. Let me start with a story about a new dive inst. he went to a dive school in Fl. and a freind of his needed a new mask. Well the shop the school ran did not have the mask he wanted. so this new inst. said that the dive shop down the street had that kind and it was cheaper then ordering it throw the school. the freind went and haaad the new mask and the new inst. was told he was not to do that kind of thing agin. needless to say the new insst was with out a job, but be fore he left he informed the school that he would send anybody to a notheerr dive shop any time he thought they could save some money and as it was the school and shop did morein sales , because the divers knew they were not out to rip anny one off

owsi83098 STAR FISH DON'T MAKE MOVIES:hmmm:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom