How?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDuba723

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ok so im 15 and fairly new to scuba diving but am totally addicted to it. And Ive really started to notice free divers. How in the hell do you guys go down so far without breathing. Or even better question how do you hold your breath for that long? :confused:

slow, deep inhales, full exhales.. and as mentioned, learn efficient ways to equalize the ears. use efficient surface dive and swimming techniques..
it's a dangerous sport and passing out is a real concern. there are lots of do's and don'ts - one is don't hyperventilate and another is do have a buddy watching you.
lot's of dry land practice to get used to the feeling of needing air... you can get beyond the burn.

Thats awesome... this is something i want to learn how to do. Nothing tooo deep but to like 30 ft is fine for me and being able to stay down there for a while would be even cooler. I was watching a youtube video the other day, and the current WR holder of France was going down and i noticed he has 1 flipper thats like a dolphin tail or a whale tail. does this allow you swim faster without wasting as much energy while your down there?

Ok so im 15 and fairly new to scuba diving but am totally addicted to it. And Ive really started to notice free divers. How in the hell do you guys go down so far without breathing. Or even better question how do you hold your breath for that long? :confused:

Safe consistent practice.

It's called a monofin. They are more efficient.

i want one just to swim with

I think the record is something like 7 or 8 minutes? I've seen someone who can stay down for a couple of minutes. Sitting calmly in a chair I can hold my breath for a minute and a half after hyperventilating, but if you do it wrong you can pass out and drown. Swimming, I think I can hold my breath for half a minute or so. My point is not to boast of my "prowess" (half a minute: wow) but that you can have loads of fun free diving short dives.

Before scuba diving I used to be able to free dive no deeper than 15 feet before my ears hurt. I could equalize, but not beyond that point. After scuba diving, maybe my technique improved, but I got down to the bottom where it was 40 or 45 feet.

Maybe the trick for me was to equalize constantly on the way down, rather than in spurts.

As with anything, the trick is to practice. But please remember to take it little by little and don't exceed your ability. If you drown because you tried to go too far too fast you'll have lost a whole lifetime.

And again, I had loads of fun free diving to 12 or 15 feet.

As for fins: Your fin size and style should match your leg strength. Bigger fins are more work to kick. If your fins are too big you'll just waste your air. Don't be fooled by looks into getting the wrong fins for you.

thanks guys for the advice. Next summer heading off to hawai'i for a dive trip and im going to work on free diving there!

Freediving is an amazing activity and it takes a lot of practice. Learning to control your body is a must. To really learn the techniques, I suggest taking a course from either Performance Freediving or F.I.T.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom