Howdy from Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Longshot270

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy, I'm a new to the forum but not to the sport. I've been on other forums for a few years now, and even help moderate one, but they have all been truck forums.

I've pretty much grown up around water but mostly with fishing. I got scuba certified last year around this time but I like to stick to skin diving just because of the simplicity and the fact that it doesn't cost anything. I'm also in the San Marcos River so there isn't much of an advantage to having scuba equipment when the water only gets to be 10-15 feet deep.

I mostly take landscape pics above water but I have two videos that I've made with a $40 camera from walmart that has been working very well for videos. I just need to make it more rigid and heavy so it doesn't shake so bad.

I've recently picked up spear fishing because when the fish don't bite there isn't much you can do...unless your like me and go in after them. The spear works great because I can get a whole basket of fish in a fraction of the time leaving plenty of daylight to either grill or cut them up as bait for bigger fish.

Howdy back! Ever dive the Comal?

Not yet, but now that I've got a thin wetsuit I'm thinking about it and the guadalupe. I stick with the san marcos as blanco because I dont have to drive anywhere.

Wow. Never thought about the Guadalupe...above the dam? We will be doing dive around Texas this year. We are passing through your area on the way to Balmorhea in early September. Give you a shout - we will probably also do Trashfest in early October.

I've never been in the Guadalupe but a bunch of my friends say it is good diving.

The only rivers that I KNOW are the San Marcos and Blanco.

If you are going to balmorhea take a camera, it is a neat place to dive.

I dont know the code for this forum yet so I dont know if I can embed videos but here is one from the last time I was in Balmorhea

...oh well give me a few more posts and then I can, wont let me right now.

<--- Lives in Elgin ATM.

Welcome to SB Longshot270 :cheers:

We have a great local dive community!! One of our local dive options is Lake Travis Scuba. Robert runs the dive charter on the lake and he's just plain awesome.

Have you checked out The Texas Flower Garden Marine Preserve? We're in Texas but we DO have blue water options :) If you're interested you can book a weekend at the gardens on The M/V Fling with the LDS of your choice ... but for Flower Gardens stuff I like Tom's.

Anyway .. welcome and cheers!!

[Quoted material]
That is really interesting. The Lake Travis prices look good. Too bad it would almost cost that much to drive there. lol I'll have to look into when I can actually afford to drive further than Canyon Lake.

I know a guy that wanted to trade my engine hoist for his scuba gear. I might take him up on that offer and then have the Dive Shop here in San Marcos look it over for me. If I get gear there are some areas on Canyon lake I'd want to explore.

Dang, still wont let me post URLs, had to go in and edit everything. Haha

Howdy, I'm a new to the forum but not to the sport. I've been on other forums for a few years now, and even help moderate one, but they have all been truck forums.

I've pretty much grown up around water but mostly with fishing. I got scuba certified last year around this time but I like to stick to skin diving just because of the simplicity and the fact that it doesn't cost anything. I'm also in the San Marcos River so there isn't much of an advantage to having scuba equipment when the water only gets to be 10-15 feet deep.

I mostly take landscape pics above water but I have two videos that I've made with a $40 camera from walmart that has been working very well for videos. I just need to make it more rigid and heavy so it doesn't shake so bad.

I've recently picked up spear fishing because when the fish don't bite there isn't much you can do...unless your like me and go in after them. The spear works great because I can get a whole basket of fish in a fraction of the time leaving plenty of daylight to either grill or cut them up as bait for bigger fish.

I think it would be a good idea for you to talk with a game warden in the very near future about spear fishing. I know you can legally spear nonnative fish in Texas but the rest are out of bounds. Just trying to save you some money and a lot of trouble.

I think it would be a good idea for you to talk with a game warden in the very near future about spear fishing. I know you can legally spear nonnative fish in Texas but the rest are out of bounds. Just trying to save you some money and a lot of trouble.

Yeah I already have. Last summer I was in the position to be telling a game warden and some TDA cops the latest rules and regulations. I only shoot non game fish like sunfish and the occasional grass carp...but that is because by law I should gut every grass carp I find in these two rivers.

I also have to be outside of the city limits and I know them to the exact river sections.

Back
Top Bottom