How's Bermuda?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CathyI8205

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Has anyone been diving in Bermuda? What is it like? Did you like it? We can't find may references to it in the magazines.

Hi CathyI8205,

I've been doing a yearly trip to Bermuda since '83, and have enjoyed the diving very much.
While the reefs are not quite as lush as in those further south, the reef life is different, and abundant. Also, if you enjoy wrecks, there are many-varying from historic debris fields, to nearly intact.

If you do a search, you'll find a variety of threads addressing Bermuda Diving.
Good luck,
Mike

Mike,

Thanks. Sounds good. Do you have any recommendations for a relatively inexpensive place to stay?

Hi Cathy,
Glad to be of help.
"Relatively inexpensive" in Bermuda means "quite expensive compared to most other islands, but less than elsewhere in Bermuda". It is an expensive island.
That said, I believe that the smaller guest houses would be less expensive than the larger hotels, but I'm not sure. I'd look in travel mags rather than dive mags for that info.
Something to keep in mind: there are no car rentals available for tourists in Bermuda, (in fact there is a limit of 1 car per householdfor the local population) and most Bermudians get around on motor scooters or motorcycles. Those are avaible as rentals, but I have seen and read about far too many tourist accidents to suggest taking that route.
Cabs are reliable, but expensive, and it may cost less in the long run to be able to eat where you are staying. I'd look for a place that has an on site dive op, and take it from there.
My personal favorite dive operation is "Dive Bermuda", which has 2 locations- one at the Hamilton Princess Hotel, and the other at the Fairmont Southampton Hotel.Those are among the larger hotels on the Island, and as such, may not fit in with the type of accommodations you are looking for. Again, I'd suggest a travel guide book ( Frommers or Foders are 2 that come to mind) to get more detailed info.
Good luck,
Mike

CathyI8205:
Has anyone been diving in Bermuda? What is it like? Did you like it? We can't find may references to it in the magazines.

The bad:

First off, it was pricey compared to most everywhere else, but not to the point of being out of reach. Say, $10US more per two tank trip.

Second, if you've done the Caymans or something in that region and you are expecting clear water like that, you're probably not going to get it. That may be seasonal, but having gone in both April and November it probably isn't. I found the waters to be cloudy, but with decent vis, like near 100ft.

The good:

I found the dive operation I went with (Scuba Look) to be very good, and very friendly. Their site isn't working for me at the moment, but you can get contact info here.

The dive ops were professional, and after diving 2 days with the same people, one of them took me on private dives the rest of the time I was there, including a few pass-throughs, which was VERY exciting.

I have pictures...somewhere...maybe I'll link them up later.

Have fun, Bermuda is a beautiful island.

I just got back and was pleasantly surprised. The diving wasn't as colorful as elsewhere in the coral zones, but quite interesting. I really liked the SW Breakers dive. The caves are fair, if you're certified. he water will be getting chilly (by my standards) at 72-75 degrees. A 5 mil was in order for me. Enjoy!! Bermuda is pricey but worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom