Worst cruise itinerary ever (cant dive any port)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All of which make for this later poster's comment above to be all that much more ludicrous, but I will note that commonly a cruise is actually going to be a lot cheaper than a full dive trip, particularly if you live near to a cruise port thus alleviating the costs of a flight. Throw in that all of your meals, lodging, entertainment, etc., are included on the cruise and if you have others going on the trip that prefer getting those one day (sometimes 2) visits in to different places then that might be a preferred vacation for you. I don't think any of that makes someone who decides on doing things that way any less of a "real diver" and for a comparable price/value comparison I can see where many find a cruise simply a much cheaper option than a dedicated dive vacation. Not your idea of a vacation value? No Problem! But no need to try to insult someone for having a different opinion about it in their situation.
I was that "later poster" and that was a joke. You are reading things too literally.

On the other hand, if any of your reasons why it might make sense were true, the OP has the money and the time to take one more (possibly mini)vacation just to dive.

Which Bermuda Port? Kings Wharf is a bag roll to the scuba/snorkel beach that we got our rescue Cert dives at with Fantasea Diving. They had a dive shop with gear at that beach then , but at the least it is free to snorkel there.

Which Bermuda Port? Kings Wharf is a bag roll to the scuba/snorkel beach that we got our rescue Cert dives at with Fantasea Diving. They had a dive shop with gear at that beach then , but at the least it is free to snorkel there.
If we’re referring to the same beach, Snorkel Beach, it looks like it has become a major cruise ship hang out spot. You have to pay to get in, but there’s a bar, music, chairs, etc. Our rental the past 2 years has been in Somerset, so we went up to catch the ferry.

If we’re referring to the same beach, Snorkel Beach, it looks like it has become a major cruise ship hang out spot. You have to pay to get in, but there’s a bar, music, chairs, etc. Our rental the past 2 years has been in Somerset, so we went up to catch the ferry.
How much does it cost to get in? Does it still have the little dive shop on the beach there?

How much does it cost to get in? Does it still have the little dive shop on the beach there?
Not sure about cost, we never went in. I think you can rent snorkel gear, but that’s it for gear.
Fantasea is now K S Water Sports, and they no longer do scuba.

I was that "later poster" and that was a joke. You are reading things too literally.

On the other hand, if any of your reasons why it might make sense were true, the OP has the money and the time to take one more (possibly mini)vacation just to dive.
My apologies, but it really didn't come off as a joke (and honestly yours wasn't the only post in this thread that came off that way, FWIW). One of the pitfalls of forum posting, though.

Still, it may not be about the money (although it may not be in their budget to fit an extra dive mini-vacation if it were) as there are plenty of reasons folks may not be able to fit in a dive vacation but where something like a cruise and trying to fit in just a few dives like that fills the bill. I think it's just better to take what they posted at face value and that they are looking for thoughts on ways to fit a dive in with the existing plans they have rather than suggestions that don't fit the parameters of their requirements. Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions for that myself, I was only trying to inform some of the questions that were out there, is all.

Sounds like you may be on a cruise from NY if you're going to Bermuda and Coco Cay (maybe Royal Caribbean or Celebrity since that's their private island). I can't help you with Bermuda, but you will not like the one-tank dive in Coco Cay, and Stuart Cove's is the only operator I've used in Nassau. They cater to cruise ship divers. Their shop is 45 minutes from the cruise ships and their pickup and drop-off schedule is regimented and will get you back close to 5 p.m. They're very disorganized and not the best operator, so I leave Nassau off my cruise itineraries now unless I just want to spend a quiet and relaxing day on the ship while everyone is on shore.

Perhaps a little more advanced planning and research before booking this cruise would have been beneficial for you. If you're not past final payment, maybe you can cancel and book something else with a more dive friendly itinerary.

Or you can get on the Allstar Aqua Cat in Nassau and do a liveaboard trip but with a higher price tag, of course.

Cruise in Bahamas + Diving = Blackbeard's ! :)

The idea of an "all inclusive" cruise is to cram in everything, but it can't be done, so you can be sure whatever you want most won't be very high on the priority list! That said, if you want to get with their program they can be wonderful. My parents (from the "Greates Generation") loved them.
🐸

I think it's just better to take what they posted at face value and that they are looking for thoughts on ways to fit a dive in with the existing plans they have rather than suggestions that don't fit the parameters of their requirements.
If someone asks how to insert a screw into a board with a hammer, should we only answer within parameters? Or only attack those that question the parameters?

Looking to add 1 dive to 1 of 12 cruises this year that happens not to fit a dive deserves questioning of the parameters, and a little teasing. It is hard(but not imposible) to imagine a scenario where 12 cruises a year are doable, but introducing 1 land resort, or even a weekend dive trip, is not.

Yes, you might only have a hammer and a screw, but it is legit to suggest using a screwdriver or a nail.

Back
Top Bottom