How's the visibility in Sipadan/Kapalai/Mabul in August?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Qile Chen

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will dive there in August and some of my friends who dove there said the visibility was poor in August.
They also said that there was no more schools of barracudas in Sipadan.
I also wonder that if it's possible to dive 2 days in Sipadan if I buy the Kapalai 5D/4N diver package.

I'm planning a trip out there too in August. So I'm interested in knowing the same.
Last time was in May 2016 on the Seaventures rig.

AFAIK - The issue of permits is not totally at the whim of the dive shop. The Government regulates the daily or weekly quota and when feasible a dive shop may apply for yours twice in a short span of few days (ex: fewer customers meaning quota not expired) - but this privilege is normally given to those divers who opt for a longer stay with the shop. i.e give the bigger customers more bang for the buck. So depending on your luck with respect to presence of, or planned arrivval of other divers - a few days later.

PS: I believe there are other more informative threads with the inside details on permits.

I'm heading there in August as well. From what I understand July and August are the best months to dive Sipadan being their peak season with good visibility.

I also found this: Sipadan in July/August

So I think we're all good to go. Dive!

I'm there next week and the week after so i'll report back. Hopefully the water is clear, the fish abundant and the currents weak.
Looking forward to a review :)

Short phone review. I'm in the second last day of the stay on the Seadventures rig. Yes there are still plenty of Barracuda, I've see three Barra storms. Lots of turtles, jack fish, white tip sharks, humpheads etc. No mandarin fish to be found on Mabul though. Vis had been highly variable, from 10m to 30m. I had days on Sipidan where the first dive was good vis, the second terrible, and the third clear again. Water is 30c

Hmm... I believe Seaventures only promises 1 day at Sipadan per 3N/4D . How many days did you get?

P

Four days diving Sipidan. One day diving Mabul / kapalai. We got lucky I think. I think it also helps to be competent divers, although the standard here is pretty high.

Four days diving Sipidan. One day diving Mabul / kapalai. We got lucky I think. I think it also helps to be competent divers, although the standard here is pretty high.

So who said there were no Barracuda left ? .

The second photo is a screen grab from a GoPro, sorry for crap quality

Attachments

• Fotor_150147831314960.jpg
    Fotor_150147831314960.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 163
  • Fotor_150157424683573.jpg
    Fotor_150157424683573.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 158

Back
Top Bottom