HP Seat - any one with a bit of magic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Palma

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, one of the regs i was working on had a very slight IP creep - around one PSI per mintue. I was thinking of lettnig this slide, but just to be sure, I decided to check out the reg (a beuchat VX10). On quick inspection, there was no signs of water intrusion into the HP area. the LP side had just a little verdigris here and there. The o-ring between the HP and LP sides felt soft - probably only 70 durometer.

Anyway, while inspecting the HP seat with a magnifying glass, I noticed it was a little cut up. I expected a little set to it, but here, there were one or two small bits of seat material that could theoretically leave a space across the crown (I'd take a photo, but the imperfections are soooo slight, that I wouldn't have noticed them without a magnifying glass - and my lens can't do macro :D ) Now, my LDS here doesn't have this type of seat, so my question is: Is there something that can be done to "freshen" up an hp seat? any tips, tricks, or magic? (short of getting a new HP seat)

Doc Ed:
without a magnifying glass - and my lens can't do macro :D ) Now, my LDS here doesn't have this type of seat, so my question is: Is there something that can be done to "freshen" up an hp seat? any tips, tricks, or magic? (short of getting a new HP seat)

I don't know anything about Beuchat, but why would you want to keep a damaged part? Are parts for it hard to get?

Terry

yup. hard to get. even some of the o-rings that they use are hard to come by.

Okay, just came back from my LDS testing the reg in the pool. I decided to trim off the little bits sticking out (actually more like gently scrape) from the HP seat. Anyway, it may have been that, or maybe just the act of rebuilding the reg, but the IP creep seems to have been fixed. Kept the reg pressurized for a time, and noticed no change in IP.

Still, I'd like to hear what others out there would've done - if there's a technique somewhat akin to flipping the poppet seat in second stages.

For some vintage regulators, were there are not seats available, we often polish or resurface the HP seat, with varying degrees of success.

It is not difficult with a flat seat. The real problem is with some of the cone seats, they are almost impossible.

Most of the time it works well, depending on the seat material.

Take a look in VintagedoubleHose.com
there is an area about techniques, down loads, and other possible helpful information.

Note: Some vintage double hose use the same seats that are still being used today, we also have some NOS, and reproduction parts for others.

good luck

Doc Ed:
Is there something that can be done to "freshen" up an hp seat? any tips, tricks, or magic? (short of getting a new HP seat)

Remove the seat from the beachat reg and fit it into an SP MK 25. If it doesn't seem to fit try swapping it with the MK 25 seat. Now you should have a MK 25 seat inside a Mk 25 regulator, and it should work great.

Scubakevdm:
Remove the seat from the beachat reg and fit it into an SP MK 25. If it doesn't seem to fit try swapping it with the MK 25 seat. Now you should have a MK 25 seat inside a Mk 25 regulator, and it should work great.

Kinda reminds me of my first car. It had an overheating problem. The mechanic told me to take my radiator cap and stick it into a new car :D

Thanks Luis :D will trot along now to vintagedouble hose now...

Whoa! Checked out the site. I actually did a bit of sand-papering earlier on. Ddin't get it totally smooth, but it seems to be working fine.

Incidentally, what does a cone seat look like? ( i bet it looks like a cone...) And what regs use em?

Oh, and what's a NOS?

Doc Ed:
Whoa! Checked out the site. I actually did a bit of sand-papering earlier on. Ddin't get it totally smooth, but it seems to be working fine.

Incidentally, what does a cone seat look like? ( i bet it looks like a cone...) And what regs use em?

Oh, and what's a NOS?
NOS = New Old Stock. Original replacement parts from the manufacturer that were never used.

I have refinished many seats using a small lathe. It works better than just polishing as it keeps the seat surface flat and true to the stem. Cone shaped seat can also be done on a lathe.

Back
Top Bottom