HP Steel without a DIN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWCWdiver:
I called the LDS and they are going to hook me up with a coverter kit for my mk17 and a DIN to yoke converter like stated here in a response from up4air. I am actually going to for the HP130 instead of the HP120. it will run about $400. does that seem right?

Yes. I think so......It is a hot valued tank in the market. You never regret your investment as long as your back can hold it. I like it a lot. Try an AL80 after that, it is a piece of cake...:D

I agree with Hoosier, if your back can take it, you'll love it. I dive 108's (the same size as HP130's), pumped up a little over to bring them close to 130. I've dove them single and double and I really like them a lot. Working with groups of students on the charter boat with my shop or at the quarry with students, and I never have to swap out my tank all day. Doubled up, they are definetly a bit of a bear, but they trim beautifully in the water. And like Hoosier said, an AL80 is a freakin' joke after that.

What is the weight of the 130? around 50#?

claimed 43 pounds empty, my double LP108's, manifold and bands got on the scale at 104.

NWCWdiver:
Excellent! I think I will just convert to DIN!! Now, one thing to consider is travelling. If I have to rent a tank, can I rent a DIN valved tank or do I need to switch back to yoke?

ALos, I heard a rumoer from a dive store that the MK17 might not hold up/have more possible issues with an HP setup. I would think that, with more working pressure, any reg 's 1st stage MIGHT have "more" issues then a LP setup. right?thanks guys!
I sometimes dive 3500 doubles on my Mk 17 regs. Have had no issues with that setup. The Mk 17 works well for side mounting also.

Easy breather, good configuration adaptability, Scubapro reliability. Just screw on a DIN to yoke adaptor and it converts easily.

You can get the HP130 through scubatoys for about 350 after the scubaboard discount. You might take that information to your LDS to see if they're able to match online pricing.

*edit* Unless you meant $400 for the converter and the tank, in which case, that's a better deal since there's no shipping charge involved :)

Mr. Hoosier,

I was looking at your O-rings picture. The DIN / yoke valves that we have been using have an o-ring that is a similar diameter, but thicker. The ring fits the groove tightly. If you can find one, try it. It may reduce you damage.

Stu S.:
Mr. Hoosier,

I was looking at your O-rings picture. The DIN / yoke valves that we have been using have an o-ring that is a similar diameter, but thicker. The ring fits the groove tightly. If you can find one, try it. It may reduce you damage.

You might be confused with my pictures... The O-ring on the picture is a stock O-ring from PST, not mine. (Please look at a color:D ). The O-ring fit the groove tightly, but it was burst/frayed on the edge as you see.

However, I keep it in mind. My all tanks and regs are DIN at this moment.... :wink:

mark99:

I'll bet everyone who answered your post has more than one reg set.

HUH? Nope I use an adapter and no it doesn't poke me! Just adjust the tank on your BC and that will help.

I have been diving DIN for over 5 years now and prefer it. I always carry the adapter, and have only used it in a couple of places. Many resorts and dive ops can accomadate the DIN. Just have to ask.

Stu S.:
My regulators have 3500 psi rated yokes. Using the DIN / Yoke convertable valve at 3,500 psi has not been a problem. I've done this for 2 years. DIN is better, but no problems with the yoke.

Same here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom