HP v Lp steel and DIN v yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My mistake. The cost for tank is $15 at LDS, but with regulator cost is $35 total($20 reg). Rented 2 tanks for last weekend, LDS only charged me for single tank since I'm regular customer there. Sport Chalet of course doesn't cut me a break but is only option if decide last minute to dive and is after 6 pm since they stay open to 9 or 10 pm.

It's also worth noting that the HP tanks, especially the 100 & 120, are the most efficient cylinders when it comes to rated gas capacity vs. cylinder weight. Even overfilled LP tanks don't even come close. The single most efficient cylinder from that perspective is the HP120, but that's a quirky cylinder that divers seem to either love or hate. The HP120 seems to work well only if you are tall or have a long torso; although, for those of us that it fits, it seems to fit perfectly!

Of course, capacity vs. weight efficiency is only one small factor to consider if and when you buy your own cylinders.

It's also worth noting that the HP tanks, especially the 100 & 120, are the most efficient cylinders when it comes to rated gas capacity vs. cylinder weight. Even overfilled LP tanks don't even come close. The single most efficient cylinder from that perspective is the HP120, but that's a quirky cylinder that divers seem to either love or hate. The HP120 seems to work well only if you are tall or have a long torso; although, for those of us that it fits, it seems to fit perfectly!

Of course, capacity vs. weight efficiency is only one small factor to consider if and when you buy your own cylinders.

I think it really comes down to preference. Freewillie, you need to try out the tank in the water to see if you like it. I'm one of those who hates the HP120. Too long for my liking. I prefer the HP119. It is 8" diameter (AL80, HP120 and HP100 are 7.25") but it is as short as the HP100 (shorter than an AL80) and holds 123 cubic feet (never understood why the HP119 holds 123 cubic feet).

I like the buoyancy characteristics of the HP100. If I need the extra gas I'll dive HP119. If I ever get into decompression diving I'd consider doubling my HP100s or if I need the extra gas doubling HP130s. These all work for me because I prefer tanks shorter than an AL80. For others, a longer tank might work. So they'd go for the HP120.

I've seen divers where the DIN to yoke adaptor would hit them in the back of the head.

Another possibility is to get a regulator with yoke fitting and buy the conversion kit to DIN, or vice versa. Converting the reg back and forth between DIN and yoke isn't quite as easy as simply screwing in an adaptor, but with a lot of regulators it is something that you could easily do yourself before heading off for your annual dive trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom