HP vs LP Dual Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CatalinaCanuck:
I've noticed that almost all the Dual Tank setups I've seen are LP, white most steel singles are HP. Any reason for this?

Just asking because I have a matching set of PST HP100's

None that I know of. I prefer LP tanks, but I dive with at lest 4 others who use HP100's.

Tobin

CatalinaCanuck:
I've noticed that almost all the Dual Tank setups I've seen are LP, white most steel singles are HP. Any reason for this?

You can jam a lot of air into an over pressurised LP, and for some people the LPs give better trim.

I use both LPs and HPs as doubles. And as singles for that matter.

Peter

Sure, there is a reason in my opinion.

For the double set, you can get the overfill, even cave fills (more than 10 percent). That is, you are in the tech diving mode. But, for the single set, there is no guaranttee that you can get the overfill more than 10 percent from the rec. oriented LDS. Why does people get the steel tank? It is for more weight and more gas.

If you see why HP tanks are coming out in the market, it give a clue.

I realize this thread is old, but is a start as too what I am looking for. I am getting ready to take Adv. Nitrox and Deco procedures and accumulating my gear. Right now I have Worthington HP 100 for singles. I am trying to decide if I want to get another or go with LP.

I understand LP can be overfilled and may offer better trim.

What are the pros and cons of diving HP doubles and LP doubles?

prthd9:
I realize this thread is old, but is a start as too what I am looking for. I am getting ready to take Adv. Nitrox and Deco procedures and accumulating my gear. Right now I have Worthington HP 100 for singles. I am trying to decide if I want to get another or go with LP.

I have no experience with HP doubles, but I do have a set of Worthington LP 104's and the main reason for me is the ability to get overfills but being in central and north florida that is far more readily available then elsewhere, so the ability to get overfills on your LP tanks may not apply to where you are at all.

It is easy to get lp tanks filled or over filled to capacity, but they aer more bouyant. HP tanks are more neg but it is more difficult to get them to 3500, PSI.

I have both kinds of tanks and both of the have their good and bad. I use LP for doubles(I have 95s and 130s) at 2640 the 95s have 190cuft of back gas and at 3500 psi they are basically 119s(238). The 130s are 208 cuft of gas at 2640 and 260cuft at 3500.

My HP100s I use for singles. At 3500psi they are 100cuft and at 3000 they are basically 80s.

prthd9:

Aside from gas capacity, which is self-evident, the only way to know is to try them and see how they trim out for YOU.

I'll be doubling my HP100s first chance I get.

That is a good suggestion CompuDude, but I can't afford to by both. I do know there is shop in SD that rents doubles, so I'll check into it.

Back
Top Bottom