HSA picnic at Portage Sept 6th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trucker girl

Cupcake, Queen of Dorks
Reaction score
Off the road for good in April '08 and at home in
# of dives
100 - 199
Portage is donating $1 for every diver on Sept 6th to the Handicapped Scuba Association (sponsored by Mid-Ohio Divers). I don't know if thats only if you pay the money to go to the picnic AND an extra $6 to dive or if that's $1 out of the normal diving fee- it's a little late to call...

My LDS (Dive Guy Scuba) is getting HSA certified coming up soon and Jeff (the big cheese) is very excited about it. Just thought I'd spread the word.

Portage Quarry

Awesome event and kudos to the sponsors. I've been invovled with handicapped diving for over 3 years now, and it is one of the most rewarding and challenging things I've done. From local scuba introductions in the pool to trips to the Florida Keys, there are lots of ways to plug in and help out. Also, your dive skills will improve and you'll get much more out of it than you put into it.

If I have a buddy I will certainly go.

I was at last years HSA Barbecue it was a great time. Mid-Ohio Divers did their HAS Training back in June we had 19 divers get certified as either instructors or dive buddies.

Hello all,

I am a member of the Mid-Ohio Divers and am glad to see the discussion coming up here already. We have a great event planned. The Winking Lizard will be donating the food for the bar-b-q again. They have promised a meal even better than last year, and last year's bar-b-q was stellar and top notch.

The Mid-Ohio Divers had the CEO of HSA International come in June to train individuals as instructors and dive buddies. Jim Gatacre was very excited about what we are doing here. The funds from this years event will help make the quarries in Ohio more handicapped accessible. Andy Silverman, an independent Scuba Instructor with YMCA Scuba and President of Mid-Ohio Divers, is currently working to certify a diver who should be able to do her checkout dives that weekend and become the first HSA certified diver in Columbus.

I believe tickets are 18 dollars for entry Saturday and Sunday as well as camping and a dinner. Normal fees for two days entry and the camping is 15 so the bar-b-q is costing three dollars plus money is going to a good cause. It is an additional 6 dollars a day for divers who choose to dive. We dont' charge diving in the discount addmission because we would like to keep it an event you can afford to bring a family out to for the weekend.

Okay- someone who KNOWS something (as opposed to me- I just fake it as best I can :D)!

So- I'm confused about the prices- it's $10 to get in to dive on a normal day. Is the $18 for two days plus another $6/day if we're diving. Or is it $18 for one day of "the event" plus/or not plus $6 for diving.

Can you break it down for me if I just go for Saturday? I doubt I'd be a two-day-er. Will they have the option to opt out of the picnic and make a donation anyways? It's a great cause- there were a few HSA (okay, maybe they weren't officially part of the HSA- but you get my point) divers at Gilboa last weekend. Very cool.

It's 18 for both days of the event and then 6 more for everyday you dive. So say you wanted to come Saturday camp out that night enjoy sitting on the beach Sunday and do no diving it's 18 dollars.

If you wanted to come and do the same and dive Saturday but get up and leave early Sunday it would be 24 dollars. If you were to come and dive Saturday and Sunday with camping Saturday night that is gonna set you back 30 dollars normally 25, but now you get the bar-b-q and a chance to win the door-prizes. Unlike Legends the doorprize tickets are not separate. There will be a 50/50 raffle that will be separate. The event does not run Portage Quarry for the weekend like a legends event would. You are still able to come for Saturday and pay you're ten dollars to get in an dive. You could then just make a donation to the cause.

There will also be a meal ticket (and door-prize ticket) available for people not spending the night or only there for a day you could pay the ten dollars admission to PQ and then with a donation you get a meal ticket.

(I forget the minimum donation for a bar-b-q ticket but I believe it's like 7 or 8 dollars well worth the dinner that will be provided which I believe may be Ribs but don't quote me on that.) Once again this only applies to people who paid the normal PQ admission and not the 18 dollar event admission. << IN this case it's like a day pass to the event's activities but does not include your quarry entrance fee.

Confusing yet? WE have worked through many of these scenerios in our meetings because we want to make it as affordable and accomidating to as many people as we can. Divers and non-divers. A goal at the start was to get families involved which is why a typical ticket does not include diving. Portage is a great place for kids on the beach in the water slides and what not.

We will have the Ohio State football game on DirectTV that day they play Akron. We also have Hillbilly golf, cornhole and other activities for non-divers

There will be a BCD and Regulator both donated by CRESSI raffled off during the event.

The title of the forum says "HSA picnic at Portage Sept 6th "
But I thought the dates were: Sept 7-9

I believe it's Saturday afternoon and Sunday, Sept. 8 & 9th--just spoke with Andy Silverman about the event yesterday.

(also, unfortunately, the same dates at Dive Rite DEMO days @ Gilboa)

Hope to be able to make it myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom