Huge anchor at Breakwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the huge old anchor at Breakwater before? It's only in about 10' of water, within 50 yards of shore, in the sand very close to the rocks that form the Breakwater. I've dived there a whole bunch of times, and never seen it before until the weekend - anyone got any idea of it's age? It looks to measure about 8' long, with a crossbar almost 12' wide.

Obviously it's been there for years... just never seen it before! Relic of the cannery days?

what i heard is it's not from way back when but is fairly recent. this is the one in the kelpy area a bit offa the restroom, right ?

i forgot the story about that. ask the Backscatter guys - i bet they know.

by the way, occasionally you can see skates there.

I don't know anything about it, but I've seen it too. it is pretty cool and sometimes hard to find, like when you are showing it to someone new to the area.

lanun once bubbled...
what i heard is it's not from way back when but is fairly recent. this is the one in the kelpy area a bit offa the restroom, right ?

i forgot the story about that. ask the Backscatter guys - i bet they know.

by the way, occasionally you can see skates there.
Actually this was just in the sand, maybe 20 feet from the breakwall itself? There might be two large anchors there. Hard to judge the age.

Beautiful patch of strawberry anemones growing on it.

probably the same one.

you get kelp growing off it - i think the last time i saw it was summer '01 :( . it stands kinda upright (at least back then it was) in sand close to the breakwater wall.

it was also the site of my 7 minute dive :D . surge so strong we were pushed from the anchor almost to the wall. it was night, too. oh well.

the conditions in monterey - settled down any ? last time i checked with AWS they said it was a bit rough - though capt phil would probably take boats out :)

Word is that it's the same anchor - jpzero said that it's been covered a lot more by sand recently and there's usually kelp there, but it's in the middle of the sand now - guess the kelp has been stripped away because of storms/swells.

Captain Phil would take a boat out in a hurricane :) We were shore diving, but the forecast swells were down to 4 to 8 feet. I was going to do the Sunday afternoon Cypress charter, but no-one else had booked and it wasn't likely to go out.

I use this website to check marine forecasts and wave/swell conditions in Monterey:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.phtml?$station=46042

thanks for the link - used to have that on my older pc but lost track of it.

maybe it's still early for the sunday boat. pretty sure the AWS guys would casually mention there's spots left on the boat.

anyways - here i am, staring at a 4 day weekend (Chinese New Year) with no dive oppty. the LDS just got a new contract last monday, etc but couldn't get ready for this weekend. maybe i'll check out the pool :eek:ut:

have a great weekend, ben. hope the boat goes out.

I finally dove the anchor today. I was on my way up, looked around and I was right on top, it's about 1/2 covered with sand and completly overgrowen. but it was cool

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom