Human limits at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to bring it to your knowledge, for french CMAS*** divers (and higher), dives to 60m on air are not uncommon and D10's or M15's and M18's are common tanks on these dives.

With air its a case of the deeper you go the luckier you have to be.

The sharm 100 club is (in)famous. I know a few people that have done it. Lots of people did that and never came back.

I read an article a couple of years ago somewhere (possibly in Dive Training), about a possible limit for really deep diving (in the 1,000 foot range). The article reported a theory that the work of breathing gases as thick as they become at that depth alone creates more carbon dioxide than can be expelled through exhalation. I don't expect to find out, personally.

I read an article a couple of years ago somewhere (possibly in Dive Training), about a possible limit for really deep diving (in the 1,000 foot range). The article reported a theory that the work of breathing gases as thick as they become at that depth alone creates more carbon dioxide than can be expelled through exhalation. I don't expect to find out, personally.
This reminds me of another theoretically physical limit I heard about. I was at a lecture given by Kirk Krack (husband/trainer) and Mandy Rae Cruikshank Krack (wife/world record holder) from Performance Freediving. They were telling us that at one point in time, it was believed that there was a physical limit of 50m(?) for freediving because past those depths lungs would be so compressed they would collapsed. In time, it was proven that was not true. Happy new year guys!

....I'm incredibly curious how sub-100m is done on a single tank of air. There just seem to be too many factors.

?

A guy just broke the record a week or two ago and did 101 meters with no fins, no tank, no dropped weight, just swim up and down on a single breath.

One word - luck.

If you push your luck sometimes you survive, sometimes you don't. For ever 10 successful single tank air dives there may well be 5 that weren't.

As for a single 120m dive and how its done - massively rapid descent, rapid ascent (ie bounce) get lucky with the deco, get lucky with the O2, get lucky with DCS and its fine. Ellyatt has done and continues to do a lot of very stupid stuff and so far in general he's been lucky (discounting the numerous chamber treatments etc)

Seat belts never used to be fitted on cars. Doesn't mean people should continue not to use them. Technology improves, knowledge improves, safety improves.
Horse pucky. I have routinely dove air to 190 with the amount of gas being determined by the task, sometimes (for a bounce in clear water) as little as 71.2 cubic feet. If there were 5 deaths for every such dive that I had made, well, there'd be damn few divers left alive.
With air its a case of the deeper you go the luckier you have to be.

The sharm 100 club is (in)famous. I know a few people that have done it. Lots of people did that and never came back.
Please, what number is "lots?"
A guy just broke the record a week or two ago and did 101 meters with no fins, no tank, no dropped weight, just swim up and down on a single breath.
Now that is amazing.

Horse pucky. I have routinely dove air to 190 with the amount of gas being determined by the task, sometimes (for a bounce in clear water) as little as 71.2 cubic feet. If there were 5 deaths for every such dive that I had made, well, there'd be damn few divers left alive.

Now that is amazing.

Incident stats available here for example have showen FAR higher incidences of O2 tox from people diving air than nitrox. Ultimately its how much risk you're prepared to take and how lucky you feel. The current limits are all based on statistics. Average people with an acceptable incident rate at a pre-determined figure. You're going to get a spread of people who "most" will be fine, some wont. The further you go from that norm the fewer people will be fine and larger number won't be. Its all a question of how lucky you feel and how much risk you're prepared to expose yourself too.
Certain people can tolerate ppO2 of 2 bar or higher for extended periods of time, lots of people can't. Some people are more naturally susceptible to toxicity effecty than others. Its all entirely statistics.

I'll dive air to 55 to 60m in warm clear waters as im happy to accept that risk. To me the effects of narcosis are a much greater safety risk at that depth than the potential risk of O2 tox. For that reason i wont go below 40-45m in colder darker waters.

A significant percentage of people attempting it got dead or bent to the extent that even the people that did it will admit it was stupid. I work with and know a few people that have done it. All have friends either dead or bent from doing it. Unless you're suddenly advocating 100m single tank air dives as being a nice low acceptable risk ive got no idea what you're arguing against here.

I got interested in the oxygen toxicity problem associated with deep air diving a couple of years ago and have spent considerable time trying to find out where the 1.6 ppO2 limitation came from.
So far, have not found any studies that were done to validate that limitation. I talked to Alex Brylske at the DEMA show last year and he said that when he first started diving, 2.0 ppO2 was
considered the max. This year at the DEMA show I talked with Nick Byrd with DAN and he was able to give me some insights into the oxtox problem but did not know where the 1.6 came from.
I have made a few dives beyond the 2.0 and have not been aware of any of the oxtox symptoms.
Is anyone aware of any actual studies or statistical evidence in this area?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom