Humboldt Explorer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Her first departure is July 5th. She is in the water, but ships must go through a quarantine period before they can begin operations. I think the last photos were posted here from late May. I took a tour of her before she went in the water several weeks back. Her upper deck is spectacular common space. Finishings 'fino' as they say here...which equals luxury. If you haven't booked, there's very little space left as all the folks scheduled on the Lammer Law are now scrambling for space elsewhere. Virtually no space now available in Galapagos until December. No last minute specials this year.

I am in a group from West Michigan that has booked her for the July 5 departure.
Excited about a brand new boat and first time to Galapagos. Hopefully all the little problems normally found on a new boat are found and corrected before the 5th.
Also am concerned that the crew may also be new and un-experienced.

The chances we take!

Me too - I have folks on her later in Julyt. My understanding is that many of the crew are from the Estrella del Mar, which was renowned for its great crew, so I don't think you need fear anything about their abilities.

By the way, if anyone is still looking for spaces, we have spaces on most top boats for August, Sep, Oct + Nov. Check availability on our website DIVE ADVICE TRAVEL - Welcome to Dive Advice Travel or send me a mail and I will sedn you up to date availability thru 2011, including 10 + 11 night trips in 2011.

As of yesterday she is still in mainland Equador. Word is she is ready to sail to the Galapagos, but waiting on sign off of 2 documents. Sounds like the government is holding things up. She will need to depart by July 1 in order to go into service for the July 5 charter. Hope the Estrella is still in good shape!

Sherlock - rest assured that the crew will not be new and inexperienced. Galasam, the boat owner, has been operating for years in Galapagos. Explorer Ventures has been operating liveaboards for a long time as well. Neither would permit a brand new crew. From what I know most are coming from existing liveaboards - the panga drivers, Captain, engineer all have many years of experience. The guides will be among the best in Galapagos. The last Marine Reserve course for guides was many years ago so all of them have a good deal of experience.
The excitement of a new boat in Galapagos had produced a long line up of people wanting to work on it. Imagine for the crew-new cabins, a clean modern boat with all safety requirements up to date.
Humboldt passed the final Coastguard inspection yesterday and from what I know needs only one more paper to leave, which is in process. I'll update as I hear more.

Info today is that they are "STILL" waiting on one last document, and now a new hitch.... she needs a "code" number in order to take on fuel. Not a big problem, but just one more thing. Word is though, that fuel trucks stop running on Friday afternoon and don't start delivering until Monday morning. It is a 3 day crossing to the islands. If she is not there on Monday afternoon, we will start out on the Estrella and move to the Humboldt if she gets there as late as noon Tuesday. Tuesday afternoon we head for Darwin and Wolf, and would then finish the cruise on the Estrella.

Sounds like there is nothing to worry about, maybe not on the new boat though.

I certainly won't be disappointed though, the reason to go is not the boat!
Whale Shark season!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom