Humboldt Squid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out this one you can see the ink blasting out of the squid jet....

This is the real deal. We now offer the full blown squid dive for any takers that are interested in the experience of a lifetime.

www.gonetobaja.com

GTB

Good frames, thanks.

We watched the show yesterday at a friend's place with his sister who hadn't seen it yet.
She was very impressed (and very scared). :wink:

Humboldt Squid? Only 2 calcified teeth in suckers, apical flaps rounded, and corrugated mantel.

Rtaverneti,

Thanks for your note on Humboldt Squid. Please check out the pic of the chiteneous ring teeth within each suction cup of Docidicus gigas, each ring adding up to 22 teeth which gives the Humboldt squid up to 36,000 teeth. None of these teeth are calsified as they are made of the same material as fingernails. I enjoyed looking at your pic of a severly injured Humboldt Squid in the Kelp forest. It looked like the poor animal endured terrible predation upon its arms, mantle, and wings.

Please let me know if you ever encounter them again in the kelp forest. A most rare event indeed.

Here is a link of us being attacked in blue water by small(4-5ft)free swimming Humboldt Squid. These encounters occured at the animals will, the footage of the attacks is unprovoked or baited.

http://209.242.151.5/seawolves/DancingWithDemons.wmv

Cheers,

Scott Cassell
Sea Wolves Unlimited

gonetobaja:
Here is a link of us being attacked in blue water by small(4-5ft)free swimming Humboldt Squid. These encounters occured at the animals will, the footage of the attacks is unprovoked or baited.

http://209.242.151.5/seawolves/DancingWithDemons.wmv

Cheers,

Scott Cassell
Sea Wolves Unlimited

wow! great video!:11:

gonetobaja:
My work and films have never involved being a guide (over 300 dives with these magnificent animals) until just now. My goal is to share experiences with these amazing and highly intelligent squid in a safe manner and one that doesnt put the squid in harms way either. Part of my decision to provide this 'service' is to facilitate marine researchers to experience Humboldt squid. The Mexican government is going to be very aware of this operation and I will be carefully watched under a series of permits.

I wear a chain mail suit because I know of the capabilities of these huge predators and want to dive with them without the need to injure one if it decides to attack me. I have never injured one even though they have injured me.

I have spent years filming white sharks, Humboldt squid and many other predators for Discovery Channel and other clients, and have never injured my subjects. When my subject moves in to investigate me as prey or to satisfy its curiousity, I consider myself privledged and get the shot not once thinking "it's my time to leave". No film maker on the planet would agree with that mind-set.

After hundreds of hours underwater with these magnificent cephalopods, it is clear, they often avoid divers completely and it took a lot of time and patience to learn how to encounter them without hurting them. I am the only person to have developed such a method.

Dive safe,

Scott Cassell
Sea Wolves Unlimited

But you surely don't go where you go, equipped as you are, at the times of the year and times of the day that you do - with a faint hope or chance that you may stumble upon squid.

My point is there is specific intent. You know they will "attack" you so you can secure provocative video, put it against dramatic music, give it an intriguing title (what was it, Sea Wolves?... as in "pack predator"... I can't remember.)

I'm not being aggressive. I'm no fish-hugger. I can meet you in the middle, for sure. I'd be even more thrilled if there was an element of stated research in what you do, as opposed to simply thrill seeking. Its likely there has been lots learned from this, but squid-on-diver video pays better than open water squid vid. I'm cool with that too. Commerce rules.

---
Ken

Hi Scott:

So sorry about that, I ment chitinous. The reason I put this up was I have never been able to key this out exactly as Deciduous gagas and wanted your opinion.The sucker discs did not have a ring of chitinous teeth but rather 2 lage hooks. They where pinching the heck out of my hands while we were attached. The situation was a a little distracting so perhaps I am mistaken. I have some close up pics of them I will try to dig up and post them. Does deciduous gagas have a ring of chitanous teeth on all sucker discs or are there a different configurations possible on some discs? Also the mantle was not smooth but rather slightly longitudinally ridged like courduroy and the apical flaps look a little broader and rounder that the ones in pictures of D. Gagas. With the exception of the sucker disc's the later may simply be a bit of phenotypic plasticity.

Ken,
Thanks again for your interesting point of view.

You are right about one thing. People want to see these squid attack people! Discovery Channel wanted to buy images of squid attacking me and I declined because I chose not to 'demonize' these beautiful creatures. I have film of an eight foot long Humboldt squid hitting me so hard you can hear my breath being knocked out and the grating of the chitenous ring teeth can be clearly heard against my armor and camera. It is easy to see why the old panga fishermen call these big squid 'demons'.

The term 'Sea Wolves' comes from my contract work hunting poachers, people, not animals, for a government. I am a predator, but not against animals.

Dive safe.
Scott Cassell
Sea Wolves, Unlimited

Mr. Tavernetti,
I love your enthusiasm for Docidicas gigas! Yes, the chitenous ring teeth have those plasticity properties, but are in fact simply 'finger nails'. Not to sound elementary, but as for the two 'hooks', perhaps you mean the massive beak located at the center of the buccal mass at the center of the arms? The beak of that animal would have nearly the size of your fist and extremely strong. The two tentacles have two sucker discs with two elongated teeth (at the clubs), but still usually more than two sets of discs are present.
Yes, the specimen you encountered was very probably Docidicus gigas. And yes, the skin is indeed slightly raised and thicker as it nears the mantle-end close to the arms. Did the animal have enough strength to color flash for you? I hope so as it is one of the most fantastic sites to behold. They can change from red to bright white in just two frames of film!!! A tenth of a second!
So very COOL that you saw one it the kelp forest. I am soooo jealous!
The wings are round but do have a long leading edge facing the mantle tip (some say tail) These wings are magnificently powerful and I have had the fortune of watching a six foot squid go from a dead stop to nearly 20 knots in just three body lengths! The acceleration curve is truly incredible! It may be the fastest of the large squid species. I have seen squid leap out of the water over 10 feet high! What great speed can facilitate that high a breach?
Yes, if you find those other pics I would love to see them. If you ever wish to see these animals in perfect condition and beautiful, I can tell you how to do it. Since you have dove with one already, I consider us 'squid bros'!
I am going to Baja again soon, but please let me know if you find your other shots.

Take care and dive safe!

Scott Cassell
Sea Wolves Unlimited

Back
Top Bottom