Question Humidity and sleep in Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. Insist on AC.
2. Give it a try to find your own limitation on humidity.

The question is too personal to answer. I could only give my own experience/reasoning and so did others.

Hi All

For Those who don't sleep well in high humidity:

I'm looking for advice from those who struggle to sleep in very humid conditions (with no air con).

I'm looking at Papua Explorers, or Papua Paradise over water bungalows as accomodation but am concerned that a ceiling fan will not be enough to help me sleep. I just came back from Fiji and I know I would not have been able to sleep without the air conditioner at Uprising Beach Resort.

I'm used to the dry heat of Sydney, Australia - if anyone can relate and has stayed in tropical conditions with only a ceiling fan can let me know if they were able to rest or if they do not recommend it at all. Is there a resort (mid range) that would be better suited for me? That would help me greatly.
I left Papua Paradise three days ago. Was in the more basic bungalow over water. They have a ceiling fan inside the bed+netting setup that was so vigorous I put socks on one night. Never missed AC the whole week. Cannot say enough good things about the PP resort and staff, great place, already planning a return trip

Hi All

For Those who don't sleep well in high humidity:

I'm looking for advice from those who struggle to sleep in very humid conditions (with no air con).

I'm looking at Papua Explorers, or Papua Paradise over water bungalows as accomodation but am concerned that a ceiling fan will not be enough to help me sleep. I just came back from Fiji and I know I would not have been able to sleep without the air conditioner at Uprising Beach Resort.

I'm used to the dry heat of Sydney, Australia - if anyone can relate and has stayed in tropical conditions with only a ceiling fan can let me know if they were able to rest or if they do not recommend it at all. Is there a resort (mid range) that would be better suited for me? That would help me greatly.
Dry heat of Sydney? Really! Sydney has hot humid heat most of the summer, especially late January to March.

Bes thing is not to stay in an overwater bungalow. The water temperature is generally far higher than the land, so you get heat and humidity coming up into bungalow.

Dry heat of Sydney? Really! Sydney has hot humid heat most of the summer, especially late January to March.

Bes thing is not to stay in an overwater bungalow. The water temperature is generally far higher than the land, so you get heat and humidity coming up into bungalow.
Counterpoint: stayed at Biodiversity 10 days ago in bungalows on land and Papua Paradise last week in bungalows over water and Papua was far cooler and more comfortable.

It is all about the breeze, and that is dictated by fans and the orientation of the coast line. Papua Paradise faces into the evening breeze, and the breeze made those over water bungalows idyllic.

For you land-based accommodation stayers where there's no A.C., got a question. As many of some of you know, as we get older, the urinary bladder gets less elastic, and a couple (or more) trips to the bathroom at night become routine. So I'm guessing the people sleeping under mosquito nets have to come out of them to go to the bathroom at night a couple of times or so, some nights.

I imagine it varies widely, but how big of a problem does that tend to be?

Also, regarding Indonesia land-based resorts, do even those with A.C. tend to have in-room bathrooms, or is it usually an external place? Do those without A.C. tend to have in-room or external bathroom facilities?

Those issues bring up my next question. Travel advisories tend to fall into 3 broad categories in my view:

1.) Things recommended that few people do.
2.) Things recommended some do and some don't, sort of a 'you do you' thing.
3.) Things recommended you'd better do and perhaps only fools wouldn't.

So, prophylaxis against malaria, vaccination against typhoid and yellow fever, what say you guys about these? Any other disease conditions you're on alert about there?

For you land-based accommodation stayers where there's no A.C., got a question. As many of some of you know, as we get older, the urinary bladder gets less elastic, and a couple (or more) trips to the bathroom at night become routine. So I'm guessing the people sleeping under mosquito nets have to come out of them to go to the bathroom at night a couple of times or so, some nights.

I imagine it varies widely, but how big of a problem does that tend to be?

Also, regarding Indonesia land-based resorts, do even those with A.C. tend to have in-room bathrooms, or is it usually an external place? Do those without A.C. tend to have in-room or external bathroom facilities?

Those issues bring up my next question. Travel advisories tend to fall into 3 broad categories in my view:

1.) Things recommended that few people do.
2.) Things recommended some do and some don't, sort of a 'you do you' thing.
3.) Things recommended you'd better do and perhaps only fools wouldn't.

So, prophylaxis against malaria, vaccination against typhoid and yellow fever, what say you guys about these? Any other disease conditions you're on alert about there?
At Papua Paradise and Biodiversity we had en suite set ups, didn’t have to leave the room.

I saw a dozen mosquitoes total during our time at these resorts.

We have typhoid and yellow fever shots, have had them for decades, boosted as needed.

We have taken Malarone RX for malaria when on non-diving vacations, but I haven’t found a malaria med w side effects that are compatible w diving, so we don’t take those meds on diving trips.

There are two good malaria vaccines out now, the most recent announcement was that the newest has an efficacy of 80% — as good as any pill ever has been — so maybe get that if you are worried?

There is no yellow fever in this part of the world. Fortunately also much less malaria, although as a tourist I would not take the chance.
Some tips: no drinks the last 2 hours before you want to sleep, keep a red light torch in arm reach.
Treat every small wound as a very serious health risk. bring plenty of Betadine and band aids.
Be very moderate on alcohol (better nothing at all) and NEVER drink any home made alcohol.
Use repellent whenever there are mosquitos.
Be very careful to protect yourself against too much sun light.
Do whatever you can to get enough sleep every night. If needed bring earplugs and a mask for your eyes.
Only eat very well cooked meat and fish.
Enjoy all that the world throws at you ;-)

If possible, you might try a hammock. I have never been to SE Asia, but when the humidity gets high here air flow all the way around you makes a big difference.

DW

Counterpoint: stayed at Biodiversity 10 days ago in bungalows on land and Papua Paradise last week in bungalows over water and Papua was far cooler and more comfortable.

It is all about the breeze, and that is dictated by fans and the orientation of the coast line. Papua Paradise faces into the evening breeze, and the breeze made those over water bungalows idyllic.
Can confirm. We stayed at Biodiversity first (land bungalow) and then the second week at Papua Explorers (overwater bungalow). The overwater was cooler, as far as I remember.
I have to say, I'm from northern Germany so not at all very used to humid heat. I didn't have any problems sleeping without AC. the only thing I found slightly bothersome was, that everything just kind of feels ever so slightly damp all the time, bed sheets, clothes, towels, everything. It's not baaaad bad but noticeable.
I found it a very small price to pay for being in Raja Ampat, though. I just kind of accepted it. It's nothing anyone can really do anything about...

Can confirm. We stayed at Biodiversity first (land bungalow) and then the second week at Papua Explorers (overwater bungalow). The overwater was cooler, as far as I remember.
I have to say, I'm from northern Germany so not at all very used to humid heat. I didn't have any problems sleeping without AC. the only thing I found slightly bothersome was, that everything just kind of feels ever so slightly damp all the time, bed sheets, clothes, towels, everything. It's not baaaad bad but noticeable.
I found it a very small price to pay for being in Raja Ampat, though. I just kind of accepted it. It's nothing anyone can really do anything about...
When I head anywhere that is "tropical" I vaccum pack my underwear in a series of ziplock-style bags. When they come out of the bag they are dry, not humid-damp. It is a small luxury. The ziplocks are always useful to have for packing for the homeward leg of the trip (wet bathing suits, liquids, etc).

Back
Top Bottom