Hurricane Dorian

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hurricane Irma was on 8/30/2017. I did not find decent viz in Miami until my 11/21/2017 dive. It took a long time for viz to come back. I cannot speak much to the waters off of Jupiter during that time.

Thats unreal. This storm keeps getting more and more unbelievable.....Right now model runs are showing it hit south florida, cross the state and enter the gulf.

Thats unreal. This storm keeps getting more and more unbelievable.....Right now model runs are showing it hit south florida, cross the state and enter the gulf.
What is it that is unbelievable?

That is pretty normal. Sometimes the storm even circles around in the girls and pounds the gulf side of the state again, as an extra FsU to the state.

I was already in the Outer Banks and am planning to dive Saturday ... weather offshore of Hatteras is still looking okay, but I may have to invoke the "act of God" explanation if I can't make it back to the office in Miami by Tuesday morning. Driving through a hurricane is not on my to-do list.

If it hits as a hurricane/tropical storm; how long until dive boats go out again? Does it take a few days for things to settle down in the water?

Just speaking about WPB & Jupiter,,,,the GOOD news is Lk Okee is at 13.5ft and usually at 16ft plus at labor day. What this mean is since it's so low, they are NOT opening any flood gates >> and opening those destroys our viz for weeks and weeks. Since this storm is moving quick(1 day over land rather than 3), I would expect that the clean water from the un-affected keys will ride the currents north to us and 3 days after the storm crosses, we should be in very good viz !! But if they open the S155 gate along with all the S40-S49 gates then we're toast until they close them. But with Lk O so low, we are gonna be in great shape for diving.

What's always really cool is to go back and dive the reefs and see what's be "uncovered" from the storm shifting sand around. It will be like a whole new reef. And don't listen to anyone,,but there still will be no lobsters after the storm, lol ! :troll::rofl3:

I'm trying to refrain from holding my breath while underwater for the next 4-5 days...

I'm planning to be in Key Largo to dive the Spiegel next Thursday and Friday (depending on conditions) and then up to cave country the week after that. The cavers that I've spoken to so far have said they don't anticipate any significant issues.

Anyone have any idea what conditions might be like out of Boynton Beach Saturday and Sunday? Was planning a trip for the weekend, but questioning whether I should cancel.

Anyone have any idea what conditions might be like out of Boynton Beach Saturday and Sunday? Was planning a trip for the weekend, but questioning whether I should cancel.

I would postpone. Most boats will be expecting bad weather and will tie up their boats so they can prep their own homes.

We're getting ready here. They're projecting that it will still be a cat2 or 3 by the time it hits the gulf coast. Hopefully publix isn't sold out on beer.

I agree with the others. Cancel the dive trip. Water will be churned up and low vis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom