Hurricane Gustav

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

at200808_5day.gif

Looks like Hanna is going to hit Savannah head on if it continues this track. This is nothing compared to Gustav, but hopefully she stays on the calmer side.

Carolyn:sharks2:

when did Hanna become a hurricane? I thought it was still a Tropical Storm?

Also, this is/was the 2nd time they had used the name Hanna for a Tropical Storm in the last few years. That kinda confused me also. I figured they would have picked a name (for the rotation list) that wasn't recently used.

(the last use of Hanna, or Hannah (I can't remember the spelling) was in September 5-6 years ago and it was mostly offshore in the gulf. But enough to cancel our dive trip. (15 ft seas)).

but... following right behind the 'current' Hanna, is Tropical Depression #9

AL0908W5.gif

The only time a hurricane name is retired is when it is a major and devastating storm. Hanna keeps playing with us and she will keep us on our toes for the next couple of days.

Carolyn:shark2:

Watching the news throughout the day, doesn't seem like Gustav did a terrible amount of damage, compared to what it could have done.....

I saw damanged homes, etc and water hitting the levee's, but not much in major death and peril......

they just reported on the news that it's been downgraded to a category 1 storm

EXTRA! EXTRA! ClayJar now has *electricity*!

After a valiant struggle with two of the three line fuses that connect our block with the grid, the wonderful fellows with J F Electric from Edwardsville, IL, successfully closed the circuits at about 6:15pm CDT yesterday and energized our lines (which now run across several new poles and through several new transformers).

It will be an indeterminate time until Cox decides that fixing our cable is worthwhile, so I'm still offline, but last night, I actually was able to do *laundry*! It was...

...nice.

Now that Gustav is gone and over with and folks are trying to get back to normal, I found this interesting...

Many of the evacuee's were bussed to Alabama, Mississippi, and other surrounding states to shelters set up by the states, often in gyms at state colleges.

Well while many of the evacuee's were thankfull for being transported to shelters, others complained and felt the need to trash the shelters......

Hazmat crews are now being called into clean up the gyms (shelters) at the cost of taxpayers. They are having to clean up items such as syringes, used condoms, soiled underwear.

Evaccuee's shoved Red Cross issued blankets down into toliets having to have Roto-Rooter called out in the middle of the night. Feces and blood and other fluids were smeared on the walls. Bus seats were ripped open. Cots and blankets were soiled with all kinds of stuff and had to be burned.

one shelter is having a hazmat crew come in and sanitize the facility at the cost of $25,000 to taxpayers. Another shelter the clean up bill has been listed at $20,000.

Like I said, I'm sure many of the evacuee's that were here were thankfull, but it's just a terrible shame that some of them felt they had to trash the place while they were here when others were extending a helping hand. what a shame.....

Now that Gustav is gone and over with and folks are trying to get back to normal, I found this interesting...

Many of the evacuee's were bussed to Alabama, Mississippi, and other surrounding states to shelters set up by the states, often in gyms at state colleges.

Well while many of the evacuee's were thankfull for being transported to shelters, others complained and felt the need to trash the shelters......

Hazmat crews are now being called into clean up the gyms (shelters) at the cost of taxpayers. They are having to clean up items such as syringes, used condoms, soiled underwear.

Evaccuee's shoved Red Cross issued blankets down into toliets having to have Roto-Rooter called out in the middle of the night. Feces and blood and other fluids were smeared on the walls. Bus seats were ripped open. Cots and blankets were soiled with all kinds of stuff and had to be burned.

one shelter is having a hazmat crew come in and sanitize the facility at the cost of $25,000 to taxpayers. Another shelter the clean up bill has been listed at $20,000.

Like I said, I'm sure many of the evacuee's that were here were thankfull, but it's just a terrible shame that some of them felt they had to trash the place while they were here when others were extending a helping hand. what a shame.....

During Hurricane Georges in 1998, the Superdome in New Orleans was used as a shelter by the Morial administration for people that didn't leave (evacuate). During the storm, the people there complained about everything including the food. I actually heard one of them getting interviewed saying they wanted steak. They were actually getting hot dogs and burgers for FREE. The instructions were for them to bring what they wanted to eat when they came to the dome. Some brought nothing. After the storm was over, anything that was not nailed down walked out of the dome with them. I never heard reports about the damage and theft cost, but there was clearly video by the local TV stations that showed the stuff in people's hands as they were walking out.

When Katrina approached, they knew that letting the people in the dome was a mistake from that past experience in Georges. Initially, they said that the dome would not be used, but when it became clear that people were not going to leave, that they were going to wait to be helped, they decided to open up the dome. Well, that's history. They trashed the dome again, WORSE than before! I haven't seen figures on damages, but it was in the millions, not $25000.

For this last storm, Gustav, there was absolutely no way they were going to allow people into the dome or the convention center in New Orleans. Those facilities were used as staging areas for recovery authorities and the national guard ONLY.

That being said, I feel sorry for those in other states who once again held out their helping hands only to have their faces slapped and their facilities trashed. Maybe Darwin should be allowed to do his work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom