Hurricane Isabel Bisects, Shuffles Florida Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
From a Jupiter Florida newspaper...

September 24, 2003

The bad luck that dogged the 164-foot freighter Zion Train has continued even after it was sunk four months ago to become an artificial reef off the Jupiter Inlet.

Divers from the Jupiter Dive Center went down to visit the wreck this week, and it wasn't there. After searching the area three miles offshore and about one mile northeast of the inlet, divers discovered that underwater swells from Hurricane Isabel last week had torn the ship in half and moved the wreckage more than 200 feet from where it had come to rest after being scuttled in early June.

"I cannot believe it; this ship weighs in excess of 200 gross tons and it was tossed around like a toy in a bathtub," said Dive Center Owner Randy Jordan. The Zion Train is in about 90 feet of water.

The ship was scuttled by Palm Beach County's Department of Environmental Resources Management June 1 to become the county's 43rd artificial reef. The sinking went without a hitch, and divers at the time reported the ship was sitting upright on the bottom.

But not any more, said Jordan. "It was shredded."

Bob Deacy, who works with the county's artificial reef program, said Tuesday he was not aware of the damage to the Zion Train. "I haven't been on that wreck in more than a month," he said.

Carmen Vare, who directs the program could not be reached for comment.

The Zion Train was built in 1962 in The Netherlands and served as a cargo carrier. Later it was renamed and began sailing in the Caribbean. While docked on the Miami River in July 1997, the ship was attacked by pirates armed with knives and guns who killed four of the nine members of the Haitian crew. A fifth crew member died later of his wounds.

Following the attack the ship was renamed again, becoming the Fidele. But it ran aground off South Beach in October 1997 and was abandoned at dock after running up repair bills totaling more than $100,000. It was later seized by federal marshals for nonpayment of dockage fees and sold to a salvage company.

Palm Beach County paid $25,000 to acquire and clean the ship prior to sinking

Hi

It is impressive to think about hurricanes and damage above the water and to think how deep the power of the hurricane extends below the water.

Happy and Safe Diving

Ron

Isabel?
I doubt it.
I was in West Palm Sept 12, 13, and 14, and ON the water the 13th and 14th. Maybe 2ft swells.

Monday I flew to Columbus Isle.
2ft swells on the surface all week, but the diving was decent, though viz was a little blown out. At 140ft, viz was maybe 75ft, tapering down to about 30ft at depths above 40ft.

Isabel passed over 200 miles outside of Columbus Isle on Monday, and WELL clear of Palm Beach.

Something hosed that wreck, but it wasn't Isabel.

I was a little suspicous about that newspaper article, but thought I'd offer it...

Can't help but wonder what could break a wreck like that in two, much less move it that far? But then, with newspaper "reporting" one doesn't know what the divers really said? :question:

don

Quite true... and of course, the divers could have easily been off by 200ft on their drop. Maybe they are in the habit of taking a sounding and then dropping anchor (or even live-boating it). An unfamiliar current could easily put them 200ft away from where they think they are by the time they hit 80ft.

Keep in mind though, that TD7 and Henri caused some pretty high surf in the area. One of the storms prior to Isabel is probably what nailed it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom