Hurricane? Key Largo diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I are planing on being in Key Largo on Nov 2nd. Assuming a landfall in the Miami area around the 7th or 8th, would things be back to some type of normal 3 weeks after the storm?

When I was there it was 78 same as out on the reef.
How odd, many years ago if you free dove to 20' or more the water would be ICY cold. I wonder what's different now.

My wife and I are planing on being in Key Largo on Nov 2nd. Assuming a landfall in the Miami area around the 7th or 8th, would things be back to some type of normal 3 weeks after the storm?
Maybe. Maybe not. It could be complete and utter devastation that takes months to cleanup. Or it could just be a messy PITA. Another thing to consider within a week or so of the storm is that the water could contain contaminants, bacteria, etc. from runoff from the shore or outfall pipes.

One thought would be to come anyway and join in the cleanup as a volunteer. After Hurricane Andrew destroyed much of Miami-Dade County, my entire dive club (South Florida Divers, Inc.) signed on temporarily with Habitat for Humanity and we went down there for two full weekends to lend a hand.

How odd, many years ago if you free dove to 20' or more the water would be ICY cold. I wonder what's different now.

It was a tad cooler near the bottom in the middle of the pit but we were staying off the bottom to avoid silt up and there was more life (and light) along the sides and up on the grass beds.

I wasn't near the bottom, there was a definite thermocline when freediving along the "walls". Naturally diving the "walls" because that's where the stuff to see is. Odd that the thermocline was there all summer the only summer that I free dove in there (when I had houseguests for a summer who loved it). It was in the early 2000s, forget exactly which year.

Last edited:
Dewayne74, how's it looking? I fear that Wed-Fri might be questionable for you. Have you gotten any diving in so far?

I'm arriving on Saturday, and it should be up by South Carolina by then. I wonder how Sunday diving at BHB will be. Any guess if it will impact the swells down in Key Largo the rest of that week? I don't know how far away before it will let things settle down.
Dewayne74, how's it looking? I fear that Wed-Fri might be questionable for you. Have you gotten any diving in so far?

I'm arriving on Saturday, and it should be up by South Carolina by then. I wonder how Sunday diving at BHB will be. Any guess if it will impact the swells down in Key Largo the rest of that week? I don't know how far away before it will let things settle down.

Hey gr8jab,
Diving has been great all week. I was able to get in 12 dives so far this week. We dove this morning, but by the 2nd dive the current had picked up quite a bit and had a rough time on the wreck.
The local charters are saying diving will likely resume Saturday. We are planning on trying to get a dive in Saturday morning before heading to home.

Hope that helps. Have fun, it's awesome diving.

You people realize that... the last time i checked they we calling for 50-ft seas in the offshore waters near here.. you really think all will be good on Saturday?

It doesn't appear the Keys will be affected much beyond tomorrow. Dive ops are expecting to be running full steam on Friday. As close as it is, I only saw blue skies throughout today. We have no way to predict visibility, but do remember that the Gulf Stream runs West to East, so it clears out pretty quickly. I actually ended my diving in Cave Country a day early and slipped down here to the Keys so I wouldn't have to fight rain on the way down. Mush ado about nothing in my opinion. I can't guarantee a thing, but I'm not worried about it at all.

Yea, I'm out. Lost $600 on the condo rental, but might get my airfare back. Maybe the Keys will be OK, but it also might be a complete disaster zone from MIA to DAB. Seems unwise to fly into MIA on Saturday. (I still remember Homestead back in the 90s.) My family evacuated this morning from New Smyrna.

Has there been a run on the grocery stores south of MIA yet? Either flooding, damage, or the influx of people back into the area could delay restocking...

As sad as this makes me, my son and I are headed to LA for the week instead. We will have a great time anyway.

Last edited:
Did ya hear about the earthquake????

Bad joke - I guess,,

Yea, I'm out. Lost $600 on the condo rental, but might get my airfare back. Maybe the Keys will be OK, but it also might be a complete disaster zone from MIA to DAB. Seems unwise to fly into MIA on Saturday. (I still remember Homestead back in the 90s.) My family evacuated this morning from New Smyrna.

Has there been a run on the grocery stores south of MIA yet? Either flooding, damage, or the influx of people back into the area could delay restocking...

As sad as this makes me, my son and I are headed to LA for the week instead. We will have a great time anyway.

Going to dive? Catalina is a nice day trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom