Husband bit while diving on Venice Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just another reason not to dive nude.

It was about 6 inches long and almost looked like a miniature parrot fish, but lighter in color, with predominantly pink coloring. It had tiny little stripes along it's body. Mostly pink, with some yellow mixed in.

It was a slippery dick. Not a joke. It's a type of wrasse. They bite, especially if they think there might be food around.

Go to this link and scroll down to the photo:

REEF at the Gray's Reef NMS | Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF)

This is why you dont touch. Most likely it was acting territorial and defensive, which we take for cute.

My husband and I were diving at Venice Public Beach today and he was bitten by an aggressive little fish. We thought this fish was cute at first because it was so "friendly". It kept swimming close to us and actually let us touch it. Then, all of a sudden, it swam quickly up to my husband's face and took a little chunk out of his lip. It was a nastly little bite that bled for about 5 or 10 minutes and made his lip swell up. I have heard about these little fish trying to bite diver's fingers. It was about 6 inches long and almost looked like a miniature parrot fish, but lighter in color, with predominantly pink coloring. It had tiny little stripes along it's body. Mostly pink, with some yellow mixed in. We are just curious what type of fish this is that likes to bite unsuspecting divers . Does any one know?

Don't pet or touch the fish. Bad for them and you. Ref: Jupiter Dive Center puffer! Fish like to nibble and check out food sources. Some take more than a nibble, especially Trigger and Puffers.....

I have encountered these fish at Venice as well; although it did not make me bleed or anything it did bite a mole on my neck and freak me out. For the rest of the dive I was guarding my neck lol.

This is why you dont touch. .

The fish are aggressive without being touched so I really do not think touching it had a thing to do with the bite. Mine kept hitting my mask it was pretty funny the way that little fish was willing to take my mask on like that :wink:

Or maybe its agressive behavior was the warning, and the biting was a response to the touching. Im not judging. I play with Damsel Fish all the time. They act the same way. Lesson learned.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom