Hydration ?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suarez

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
As you all know hydration is one of the main factors for DCS, so I would like to see what some of you folks are doing before a long scuba trip, how do you hydrate before and during a dive trip.
I start one week before the trip, drinking 2 lts of water everyday, and 1 liter of Gatorade diluted in water 1:1, avoid coffee, alcohol and carbonated softdrinks. During the trip I drink 3 liters of water every day, specially before going to sleep but only a small amount before diving.

Would love to hear what you do.

Thanks

Nothing. There is way too much hype about the importance of hydration. EVERBODY, divers or not, should avoid serious dehydration; minor dehydration occurs normally and repeatedly across the day with each bout of dehydration followed by re-hydration. That means sufficient liquid is drunk to replace that which was lost. You don't need more. Moreover, your physiology is designed to remove excess water. Don't drink water/fluid excessively. You will put yourself at risk for other dangers (water poisoning), possibly of higher likelihood than DCS. Normal hydration/dehydration boils down to this: if you are thirsty, you are probably somewhat dehydrated; drink water over a reasonable interval to remove the dehydration; repeat as needed.

I don't know what to think. I know the clinical answer. I also know that I was a commercial diver working on the discharge side of a nuclear reactor for months at a time. If you're not familiar, that water is about 110 degrees. I was not the most health conscious and can't remember drinking anything but soft drinks.

I also know that I have a cave diving buddy that doesn't drink ANYTHING but alcohol. I'm not kidding. We go to breakfast, lunch or dinner, he either drinks nothing with his meal (breakfast or lunch) or drinks beer. That's it. PERIOD. He's never been bent, but I suspect it will happen sooner or later.

At any rate, I'm not willing to tempt fate. I hydrate a bunch. I've never been bent and I hope to keep it that way.

Sounds like overkill. You're not a camel you know. :wink:

The morning before a dive I sometimes drink around a pint of straight water. While getting suited up it's 1-2 cups of weak black tea from my thermos. During SI it's how ever many cups of black tea I can get to.

In total I usually finish:
(sometimes) 1 pint of water
61 floz of tea
1L of water

by that time I'm home and drinking water or diluted juice whenever I'm thristy or until I'm peeing long and clear.
When I'm on a dive trip I just drink water whenever I'm thirsty. After the dive I just drink until my pee is clear.

I'm a small guy though, so it probably doesn't take much.

First off, I would not say dehydration is one of the major risks for DCS. It is often listed as a contributory factor, but there is actually not a tremendous amount of information to support it having a huge role. DCS patients can be intravascularly volume depleted, but some of that is due to the fact that they have been diving, and some of it is due to the fluid shifts involved in the disease itself. It is undoubtedly advisable to avoid significant dehydration, but I think you are overdoing it.

Fluid basically exists in three "compartments" in the body: There is the fluid contained within the blood vessels and lymphatic channels, which is called "intravascular" volume. There is the fluid inside of the cells (intracellular), and the fluid that exists in the spaces between the cells (interstitial). The body loses fluids through urine, sweat, and a small amount through the humidity of expired air. (It can also lose fluid through diarrhea or vomiting, if you are ill, but I'm assuming if that, if you have those things, you've likely scrubbed the day's dives.) The initial source of fluid loss is from the intravascular space. If volume depletion becomes sufficiently severe, the body begins to mobilize interstitial fluid and eventually intracellular fluid. By the time you get to the third space, you're like a cholera patient -- I would guess no one is ever on a dive boat if they're mobilizing intracellular fluid to keep their blood pressure high enough to stay conscious.

What's important is that the intravascular space is VERY easy to replete. Whatever you drink goes directly there, absorbed from the blood vessels lining the digestive tract, even in the stomach. As anybody who has made the error of buying a large Diet Coke on a road trip knows, it doesn't take long for ingested fluids to show up as urine -- you can see an effect in as little as 15 minutes. Interstitial fluid takes longer, and intracellular losses can take twelve to 24 hours to replete, depending on how severe they are, but again, people who are that dehydrated are just plain SICK.

At any rate, unless you are ill, or have been on a drinking binge for the last week before your dive trip, there really is no reason to start any kind of aggressive hydration program days in advance. Simply drinking normally or generously during the diving day will suffice; monitor your urine output and color, and as long as you are urinating reasonably frequently, and the color is light, you are hydrating enough.

Last edited:
As you all know hydration is one of the main factors for DCS

Thanks

Depth, time and mix are the main factors. Dehydration has never been shown to be a major factor, and you have to go to exposures that are thousands of minutes over NDL and omit decompression before it plays a significant role. Drinking enough fluids for general health is important, thinking that it will be preventative of DCS is magical thinking.

I guess it's important to many of us to feel we can take steps to prevent DCS; that it is under our control. And we can, but not sitting on the sofa a week before the dives, as appealing as that may seem. By a huge margin, the important steps we take to prevent DCS are during the dive—monitoring our depth and rate of ascent. Everything else is secondary. If you want to do something constructive, hit the gym (routinely) or maintain your gear.

If you must drink Gatorade then it is best diluted, as you do. You'd be better off just skipping it though, especially if your hydration regimen happens in front of your television. If Gatorade has any value it is for athletes who exercise strenuously enough and long enough to deplete their electrolytes, or for people with serious diarrhea.

I also know that I have a cave diving buddy that doesn't drink ANYTHING but alcohol. I'm not kidding. We go to breakfast, lunch or dinner, he either drinks nothing with his meal (breakfast or lunch) or drinks beer. That's it. PERIOD. He's never been bent, but I suspect it will happen sooner or later.
Do you think DCS is the biggest risk to a cave diver who drinks only alcohol?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom