Hydro Atlantic and other deep wrecks without Tech training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plongeursousmarin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
does anyone know if dive ops around Ft Lauderdale/Pompano only take tech-certified divers on trips to deep wrecks such as the Hydro?
Thanks

First off, there are very few boats that run to the Hydro and other deep wrecks down here. Yes, you would need to be tech certified to dive these wrecks. Furthermore, I personally don't know of anyone that does not, at a bare min, dive with HE in their mix when diving these wrecks. Usually w/ Hydro 25/17 at a bare min but most dive 21/35. If you are not tech certified, and don't dive HE, you probably will not get someone to take you out. If they did, and something happend...litagation heaven...

VinceDS:
First off, there are very few boats that run to the Hydro and other deep wrecks down here. Yes, you would need to be tech certified to dive these wrecks. Furthermore, I personally don't know of anyone that does not, at a bare min, dive with HE in their mix when diving these wrecks. Usually w/ Hydro 25/17 at a bare min but most dive 21/35. If you are not tech certified, and don't dive HE, you probably will not get someone to take you out. If they did, and something happend...litagation heaven...
Thanks for the response. I wonder what they did before trimix was more readily available like it is now. Certainly people dove it on air. Anyway guess I won't be diving that one and the other deep ones any time soon.

There are a lot of people who do this dive on air. The top of the Hydro is only 150.

With that said, this is an ADVANCED dive and should not be approached unless you know what you are doing. As for charters... no, I don't know anyone that will take you out without a) appropriate certification b) prior experience, or c) the right buddies.

Michael

I heard a capt., Jim Mims ? is his name, (I think) saying that he runs charters to the Hydro all the time and if I recall he will do it for AOW divers. He seems to think it is a managable drift dive over top of the wreck. I think there are maybe a few spots that stick up well above 150.

My personal opinion is that it is too deep for that kind of diving for my taste. If you are experienced diving to depths of 180 feet in sometimes strong currents, that this is a fun dive. I have done it only a few times and always used air.

Talon:
There are a lot of people who do this dive on air. The top of the Hydro is only 150.

With that said, this is an ADVANCED dive and should not be approached unless you know what you are doing. As for charters... no, I don't know anyone that will take you out without a) appropriate certification b) prior experience, or c) the right buddies.

Michael

Talon,

Respectfully, this is not an ADVANCED dive, this is a TECH DIVE - Period. I have dove the wreck quite a bit and have NEVER run across someone diving it on AIR. While the deck is at 150, there are may times the hook may hit 170 - 175 fsw - and it needs to be pulled / relocated / tied in. I know several of the Captains that run this wreck routinely and let me tell you - If you are diving air, I don't think they will run you - despite experience level. Nowadays, 150+ on air is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Frankly, I do not know any reputable 6-packs that will take you out w/o a trimix cert at a bare min -

You may get by if you show-up w/ doubles, a solid mix, and deco bottles and a hell of a good lie - but that is your deal. Frankly, if I was on a boat w/ people like this, I'd stay on the boat and have a diet coke....

dumpsterDiver:
I heard a capt., Jim Mims ? is his name, (I think) saying that he runs charters to the Hydro all the time and if I recall he will do it for AOW divers. He seems to think it is a managable drift dive over top of the wreck. I think there are maybe a few spots that stick up well above 150.

My personal opinion is that it is too deep for that kind of diving for my taste. If you are experienced diving to depths of 180 feet in sometimes strong currents, that this is a fun dive. I have done it only a few times and always used air.

You get on a boat w/ a Captain like that, I have only on recommendation - STAY ON THE DOCK...

I think the better question might be why you would want to do a dive like the hydro without getting training. There are a number of shops in the area that can give you the right training for what really isn't all that much money. You may even end up diving the Hydro as part of the course.

cdtgray:
I think the better question might be why you would want to do a dive like the hydro without getting training. There are a number of shops in the area that can give you the right training for what really isn't all that much money. You may even end up diving the Hydro as part of the course.

Any recommendations?

Alex

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom