Hydro Atlantic without Helium?

Helium required for the Hydro Atlantic?

• Yes

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 20 55.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No one gets smarter underwater.
Agreed, but anomalies can happen...

For example, when I did my Deep cert, part of the class was a timed task designed to illustrate narcosis. The instructor had a children's toy--a plastic globe with various shapes cut out of the sides and a set of matching plastic blocks to insert through the cutouts--and timed me first on the surface and then at 100'.

Doing the test topside primed me for the underwater test, but even so, my underwater time-to-completion absolutely spanked my topside time.

Conclusion? I AM IMMUNE TO NARCOSIS. YARRRGH.

This will always be debated in regards to deep air diving and the level of risk an individual is willing to assume.

I have personally have done the Hydro several times without Helium and am comfortable tailoring my plan and dive to manage narcosis. I'll sometimes do a mix of air and 21/35 as well.

Agreed, but anomalies can happen...

For example, when I did my Deep cert, part of the class was a timed task designed to illustrate narcosis. The instructor had a children's toy--a plastic globe with various shapes cut out of the sides and a set of matching plastic blocks to insert through the cutouts--and timed me first on the surface and then at 100'.

Doing the test topside primed me for the underwater test, but even so, my underwater time-to-completion absolutely spanked my topside time.

Conclusion? I AM IMMUNE TO NARCOSIS. YARRRGH.

I hope this is not a serious comment/question. This is not an anomaly that you were somehow exempted, or immune to narcosis. Perhaps a little dumb luck..?

Is the issue really the cost of helium, or the cost of the Trimix training?

It is both. Have you read The Last Dive? The The Father/son team were trained for mix, but were cash strapped and pushed on without it.

Is the issue really the cost of helium, or the cost of the Trimix training?

Not at all. I've been mix certified for years and dive it when needed. I'm just trying to judge how many people still dive without mix.

170’? I’d dive it on air in good conditions.

My max deep air range is 60m in OW. But would add a bit of He if penetration is required.

Know your own body and that takes time.

My max deep air range is 60m in OW. But would add a bit of He if penetration is required.

A little deeper than me but I agree 100 percent on the penetration. If I have to think at all I'd like Helium. That's kinda where I'm at with this.

Luckily life has given me options to avoid this dilemma.... costs me $10 worth of helium these days. I dive 10/65 on almost every dive now....because why not on a rebreather.

I'd dive mix if given the opportunity, but wouldn't necessarily be against diving it on air if given the opportunity to do a series of shakedown dives to get used to it again and helium being unavailable.

I think going out and hitting the bottom and doing some penetration on air without any preparation would be pretty stupid, and not something I would consider doing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom