hydro test in Australia on DOT tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nas

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

probably a question already asked, but lost at the bottom of posts.

Is it possible to buy aluminum Luxfer tanks DOT standard in the U.S. and hydro test them in Australia?
Australia has its own standard, but there exist a gateway or recognition of american strandard?

If so can you give me the process to use knowing that I am in Sydney and at the moment I do not have my personal compressor (in transit by sea from France).

Thank you for your help
Nicolas

I don't know, but I doubt it. I don't think it's possible to go the other way, i.e buy a tank in AU and have it qualified in the U.S. Now if the threads are the same (or there's an adapter) someone can hydrotest the tank and tell you the results, but I don't a DOT shop can legally stamp a foreign tank. So the place to ask would be at a hydro facility in Sydney. Someone else on this forum is bound to know more than I do.

I remember seeing a very nice pair of double LP85s from the EU sitting in a hydro shop here and the guy telling me he couldn't stamp them.

No forget it. Unless the tank is stamped with Australian approvals and specifications it cannot be used or hydro tested in Australia. I'd be very careful importing imperial tanks to Australia too. The 3/4" neck threads are very similar to M25 neck threads but the valves are not interchangeable.

You can get foreign tanks restamped with the appropriate AS, but it takes alot of paperwork and huffing and puffing for it to be put through.
In my experience, the tanks often end up approximately the same price or more expensive than that of the equivalent tanks to be purchased here.
Pretty much making the entire endeavor moot... unless you have your own compressor.....

Back
Top Bottom