Hydro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulSmithTek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I used to know the answer to my question but havent needed to hydro anything in probably 5 years. How many years until a tank needs to by hydro'd. The DOT Stamp wa 2003.

5 years

Thanks guys that is what i thought. you guys are the best!

...and if you have a stationary bank bottle with a star rating, then it's 10 years. :D
You have this 100% backwards. The 10-year "star" hydro cannot be utilized on compressor-filled cascades ("stationary bank bottle") at all. This is a common misconception held by hundreds, if not thousands (heck, maybe even all) of dive shops across the country.

The star rating is only applicable to cylinders than can undergo a "hammer test" – I.E. making sure it rings like a bell - before each and every fill. This is why so many O2/He/Etc. bulk cylinders you see have the star rating - the gas supplier hauls the cylinder off the floor and hits it with a hammer each and every time before it’s filled (well, at least they’re supposed to) and by doing so, cuts their hydro requirements in half.

Cylinders in a cascade, fixed in place, cannot be hammer tested before each and every fill (every time you spark up the compressor) so the star rating is not applicable and, assuming they’re engaged in commerce, they must be tested every 5 years, star rating or not.

Roak

Roakey,

Great information thanks for passing that on to all.

I thought it was 3 for aluminum and 5 for steel.

I thought it was 3 for aluminum and 5 for steel.
You may be confusing fiberglass or carbon wrapped cylinders with SCUBA cylinders. Both AL and steel SCUBA cylinders have to be hydro tested every 5 years (minimum; more often if you suspect a problem).

Yes, I'm being US-centric. :)

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom