Hydrostatic Testing For Tanks In Europe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nautilus23

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi guys,
Has anyone ever had UK tanks tested in France before? I have a few 12 litre steel Faber tanks that I want to get tested, but because they originate in the UK, my french dive club informs me that they cannot be tested in France. This is the kind of thing that drives me crazy about living here as a dive instructor!!! Hey, but I love France, and the french (really) so let's get over that!
Anyone have any experience or advice on this?

Tanks a bunch! : ))

I'm almost sure you can have them tested, but the procedure might be a bit longer and a bit more complicated. Are they 'CE' stamped ? Recent tanks made in Europe have that stamp, which certify they are made in compliance with European regulations. With that stamp, nobody can refuse to have your tanks tested in Europe.

Who are these people in your club? The FN? Faber tanks are made in the EU and comply with the EU regulations governing tanks and testing which are the same for all EU countries. The hydrostatic testing of scuba tanks is the same process in all EU countries and the tests valid throughout the EU. That is kind of the point of the EU really - harmonisation.

Yep - legally no reason they cannot be tested and used in France. There is already EU rules on common testing - in fact BSAC have a campaign at the moment because the recommendations from the EU are to revise it to annual tests, which will significantly increase costs for those with multiple tanks (like me :) )

http://www.bsac.com/news.asp?itemid...ers&section=56&sectionTitle=News&month=&year=

Rather a long link, but it will take you to an article that explains it - dive safe - Phil.

With that stamp, nobody can refuse to have your tanks tested in Europe.

Actually they can - it is just that there is no legal barrier to them testing them. Private business, their rules, if they want to say that they don't want your business they can decline to accept your tanks and money.

It only becomes illegal if you can prove they are doing it on grounds that break a law on discrimination - I wonder if not being French would count as discrimination? :stirpot:

P

Yep - legally no reason they cannot be tested and used in France. There is already EU rules on common testing - in fact BSAC have a campaign at the moment because the recommendations from the EU are to revise it to annual tests, which will significantly increase costs for those with multiple tanks (like me :) )

BSAC opposes proposed change to periodic inspection and testing of diving cylinders - British Sub-Aqua Club

Rather a long link, but it will take you to an article that explains it - dive safe - Phil.
The change is being driven by Australia, not the EU.

Hi Edward - I am not sure where the initial impetus for change comes from, but the article clearly says the introduction of a new european standard, and it is the proposed changes to EU directives that is driving the British Standards change.

Australia is not part of the EU, so of course it cannot be Australia driving the European change, although globally they may have influenced the decision to change. - P

And to set things straight before any one wonders - no I am not anti EU - I have done a lot of work with and for them :) and support most of what they do - Phil.

in fact BSAC have a campaign at the moment because the recommendations from the EU are to revise it to annual tests, which will significantly increase costs for those with multiple tanks (like me :) )
Annualy??? :eek: And me thinking our rules were strict (viz and hydro three years after manufacturing date, then every two years).

Hi Edward - I am not sure where the initial impetus for change comes from, but the article clearly says the introduction of a new european standard, and it is the proposed changes to EU directives that is driving the British Standards change.

Australia is not part of the EU, so of course it cannot be Australia driving the European change, although globally they may have influenced the decision to change. - P
Hi Phil,

Its BS EN ISO 18119. Its the ISO part that is being updated driven by Australia, the EU are just following suit.

Back
Top Bottom