Hyperbaric treatment/research for migraines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber Rabbit

Floppy Ear Mod
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The wife of one of our DM's suffers from SEVERE migraine headaches. They cause weakness in her right side in addition to extreme pain. Sometimes she loses her balance and falls. Anyway, my instructor thought she heard someone was doing hyperbaric research on migraines, does anyone know anything about this? Our DM's wife sometimes spends DAYS in the hospital because of these migraines. She's been to Cleveland Clinic and even they can't find anything wrong with her. I remember another member saying his pain management doctor sent him to the chamber for back pain so I thought I'd ask if this was ever done for migraines. Thanks for any help you can give.
Ber :bunny:

There is a study reported in Headache 1998 Feb;38(2):112-5

Hyperbaric oxygen in the treatment of migraine with aura.

Wilson JR, Foresman BH, Gamber RG, Wright T.

Department of Integrative Physiology, University of North Texas Health Science Center, Fort Worth, USA.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entr...eve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9529766&dopt=Abstract

Significant benefit is reported.

An earlier report (1995) in Headache also reported benefit from hyperbaric oxygen.

Headache 1995 Apr;35(4):197-9
A preliminary report on hyperbaric oxygen in the relief of migraine
headache.

Myers DE, Myers RA.

Department of Oral Medicine and Pathology, University of Pittsburgh School of Denta Medicine, PA 15261, USA.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entr...eve&db=PubMed&list_uids=7775175&dopt=Abstract

There is more about migraines and diving at our web site at http://www.scuba-doc.com/mgrns.htm

Best regards for safe diving!
scubadoc
Diving Medicine Online
http://www.scuba-doc.com/

Subscribe to Ten Foot Stop newsletter
htttp://www.scuba-doc.com/sbscrb.html

Thanks for the info!
Ber :bunny:

Wow....she really suffers from some serious migraines. I, too, have been diagnosed with migraines - the non-aura type, but they never put me in the hospital for days. I can't even imagine the pain. My best to her, and I certainly hope she checks out the hyperbaric chamber therapy.

But I do have a question for the good Doc -- I control my migraines with Fiorinal (rather, the generic version -- Butalbital, Acetominephine, and Caffeine in one tablet). Now while I never, ever take this before i dive, I sometimes end up with a headache after diving and do take 2 tabs. What effect does this have on my gassing off? Regular headache remedies (ibuprofin, Excedrin, Aspirin, etc.) just don't touch my headaches. But I don't want to risk any serious health effects by taking my migraine meds after diving (headache usually sets in about 2 hours after diving).
Thanks!

Liz

Off gassing would be affected by drugs that alter blood flow. Caffeine causes changes in blood flow.

This would be highly variable - as some medications cause vasoconstriction of peripheral vessels, some cause changes in pulmonary blood flow and some cause an increase in the core blood movement.

Caffeine causes a constriction of cerebral blood vessels, increasing pituitary activity - thereby increasing adrenalin production. This causes the usual "fight or flight" reactions, bronchodilation, rapid heart beat, blood pressure elevation, peripheral blood vessel constriction, increased blood flow to the muscles and decreased blood to the intestines.

The final outcome of the effects of caffeine would probably be a wash - that residual nitrogen would be affected very little.

scubadoc
Diving Medicine Online
http://www.scuba-doc.com/

Wow! Thanks so much for all of that information. I know that what i take causes vasoconstriction of peripheral vessels...at least that's what i've been told. I'm glad to hear that it won't make an impact on my gassing off. I wonder why I get headaches after diving, too -- I don't take hot showers, don't lay out in the sun after dives (did that once...big mistake! Had a really bad headache all the next day and couldn't dive). I am pretty new to diving (only 21 dives under my belt) and am still a bit of an air hog.....can that cause my headaches - the fact that I use up my air more quickly than other, more experienced divers? I love to dive and have none of the non-diver worries or stresses -- i.e. claustrophobia, panic, etc., I think I just have to get my breathing right and work on my bouyancy.
Anyway, thanks so much for your quick response!

Liz
:kitty:

mcallycat,

We meet again! There is a new medical device that was just recently approved by the FDA. It is called a NTI-tss device. It is worn on just the front teeth. Reports are that is rather effective in reducing the frequency of migraine headaches. Please notice I did not say cure!

It is a dental bite guard which fits over just the upper front teeth and makes contact with only the two lower front teeth. It works by deprogramming the muscles that create spasms which operate the temperomadibular joint.

Many headaches, both tension and migraine can be initiated by clenching ones teeth. You have two neural reflexes associated with which teeth touch first.

If molars and bicuspids touch first, there is a neural reflex which, in essence, tells the jaws to squeeze harder so you clench your teeth, applying pressure on the joints and possibly the tissues directly behind the joint which are highly innervated and vascular. This can cause intense pain.

If the front teeth are touching, the temporalis muscles in the forehead and the internal pterygoid muscles within the throat near the tonsils stop contracting. Essentially, 2/3 of the muscles of mastication are in effect, shut off.

You can easily do a quick experiment. Bite together on your molars while feeling the sides of you head over the forehead. You will feel the temporalis muscle tense. Now, touch your front teeth together and squeeze as hard as you want. Feel the temporalis muscles again and you will find that they do not tense.

It is not the position of the jaw that causes this phenomenon. Rather, it is the teeth that are touching. Front tooth contact shuts off all but two muscles of mastication, leaving the masseter muscles in your cheeks able to tense.

Please remember that NO DENTIST CAN PROMISE A CURE FOR HEADACHES OR MIGRAINES. However the FDA approval was because this device has been found effective.

I have NOT tried the device yet on my patients but I have two that I will ask their permission to try. If you want more information on this device try http://www.nti-tss.com. There are other web sites and some appear to be quackery.

Also remember that headaches can be the signs of problems other than stress or migraine so they must be evaluated by your physician and possibly your dentist.

The vasoconstrictor medications used can have side effects and with this device, you use no medication.

I also experience migraine and am interested myself in this device. If you do decide to use it, let me know how it worked.

Good luck,

Laurence Stein DDS

mccallycat,

I gave you the proper link but for some reason it does not go through. Try quiting scuba board and entering the website manually. It works then.

Larry Stein

mcallycat

Headaches following scuba diving are often associated with a build up of carbon dioxide. They can be quite severe. Sinus congestion is another cause.

To prevent CO2 headaches, you must breathe properly. Deep breaths, relaxed, don't rush or strain youself with fast swimming. You take a breath and hold just a moment WITHOUT CLOSING YOUR THROAT then exhale deeply. It takes a little practice. You also control your bouyancy this way.

Sinus headaches should be checked out by a physician if they persist. Sometimes a decongestant can be used like pseudophed. Personally, I don't like using it--it makes my heart race and I find that I am somewhat tired but jumpy. I also find that I am more likely to experience sore muscles when I use it.

Larry Stein

Uggggh!...I use Sudofed so little I can't even spell it! Perhaps its a "Senior Moment"!

Larry Stein:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom