hyperfocal distance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I recently read this and can't find a good description of what it means. Can someone explain it to me?

It's related to depth of field and trying to get the maximum depth of focus in a situation such as an outdoor scene with objects of interest both on the horizon and also closer.

If you focussed at infinity then there would be some nearer distance at which things are out of focus. The hyperfocal distance is where you bring the focus distance in a bit closer than infinity, but still far enough away such that infinity/the far horizon is still in focus. By bring the focus distance back in a ways, your near limit of depth of focus is closer than it would have been if you did perfect focus at infinity.

More crudely put, the hyperfocal distance is where you focus when you are trying to split the difference between foreground and far far away objects.

Yet another way of describing the hyperfocal distance is that it is the closest distance that you can focus while still keeping infinity (far distant objects) in focus.

justleesa,

Here's a website that provides a good "plain language" explanation of hyperfocal distance: Vivid Light Photography

I hope this is of some help.

Regards,

JES

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom