I am afraid my housing will flood again! I am diving tomorrow, need help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the interior of the housing can get wet without damage dump a packet of DRY unsweetend Kool-aid into the housing and close, then shake well. This coats the interior with the material in dust form, kind of a light gray color.

Now submerge the housing in a pool or tank where you can watch the thing closely. Wherever the Kool-aid first turns purple is your leak. The change is dramatic, obvious, and instant.

If it's at a seal you now know what to address. If it's at a fastener the housing is junk.

Rinse the housing in clean warm water until all the Kool-aid is removed, then dry well before inserting the camera.

O-rings as a rule leak more at low pressure gradients, it just takes longer to see. Housing cracks leak more as the pressure goes up.

Other dark flavors of Kool-aid work well, but the grape color change is most obvious. The "off brand" stuff works as well, but it generally isn't a finely ground as the real stuff, so it's harder to get an even coating inside the housing.

One more vote for too much grease.
My pre-dive procedure involves removing all the o-rings and blasting the channels with compressed air to insure no dust, hair or other debris is in the o-ring groves. Very lightly wipe down the o-rings with (approved) grease and install, close then test.

Hi GUys
thanks for all the advice.
I followed all the advice and did a dive test today. When we got to about 30ft I saw little drop inside. So went up and gave the housing to the captain and started our diving.

Dive was at Pelican's Rock and Neptunes Fingers in Cabo. Viz was not great, but lots of schools of fish, many guitarfish, lots of puffers and more.
Overall was fun.

Something is wrong with the housing, it's not just o ring. I will have to check it out, like send to olympus or somewhere.

Thanks all :)

The other thing I do, is have lots of memory cards, I change them out after each day of diving, that way if the camera floods on day 5 I don't loose all my pictures......

Ditto.

If the interior of the housing can get wet without damage dump a packet of DRY unsweetend Kool-aid into the housing and close, then shake well. This coats the interior with the material in dust form, kind of a light gray color.

Awesome idea.

Something is wrong with the housing, it's not just o ring. I will have to check it out, like send to olympus or somewhere.

Since it is resolved, I'll just add boa noite.

The coolaid idea is good.I might try that before sending the housing or junk it.

Thanks

even though it's resolved, could i just add my twopennorth?

many people dry their o rings on kitchen paper or tissues, not a good idea as the fibers can come off & cause a leak i leave it on a clean dry surface to evaporate not forgetting to turn it over & put it down in a different spot.

tell us the result on the coolaid test!

Depends on how attached you are to your camera. If you really, really love it, I wouldn't use the housing. If you don't really care and rather take the risk of getting some pictures before the cam goes out, I'd say go for it and dive the housing.

If it's an O-ring leak you tend to know about it.

If its a few 'microdrops' then it's likely to be coming through the buttons. I have the same set up and have given up using it below 20 meters because, after a few years, the buttons have started sticking open. I'll probably have to take apart the buttons and service them some time.

As others have said always store the housing with the o ring out, and gently lube the ring: roll the ring through your thumb and forefinger with just a tiny spot of grease on your finger tip. Run your finger over the flat part of the O-ring seal to feel for grit, and inspect the groove for dirt. Dry the O-ring lying on the housing or another lint-free environment, and store in in a plastic bag to avoid hairs and grit.

Cheers,
Rohan.

I like the coolaid idea, but wouldn't talcum powder be easier to remove once the test has been completed? If the problem isn't the main o-ring it could be one of the buttons that is leaking - the talc will show it up as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom