I bought a house in Lake City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Marie13,
please tell me that MSC isn't known for loosing containers en route, or dropping them off the unloading cranes.

Michael

Looked up the speed data of the MSC Krystal, it really is slower than molasses, With a top speed of 7.9 Knots there is no way it can make headway against the gulf stream.

Michael

Hi Marie13,
please tell me that MSC isn't known for loosing containers en route, or dropping them off the unloading cranes.

Michael

Haha, no! Just a crappy website that could be much better for container tracing, especially when it comes to US inland rail movement, crappy customer service, and paperwork in tiny, tiny fonts. But that’s from the perspective of the customs broker.

My favorite container overboard story: in the late 90s, I worked for a Cast, a steamship company that ran from Europe to Montreal. A container fell off a ship, I believe during a storm. The container was full of styrofoam and was floating in the North Atlantic shipping lanes. It was reported by other ships. Cast had to send a tug out to get the floating container as it was a hazard to navigation. :D

Ouch, hiring an ocean going tug to go out and get a container that cost less than 3000 new, loaded with less than a thousand dollars of styrofoam.
That must have cost a lot of money!
Is MSC still Mediterranean Shipping Company?

Michael

Ouch, hiring an ocean going tug to go out and get a container that cost less than 3000 new, loaded with less than a thousand dollars of styrofoam.

Michael

Yes, on MSC.

Looks like you’re on your way to “living the dream.” Great to hear!

The container was full of styrofoam and was floating in the North Atlantic shipping lanes. It was reported by other ships. Cast had to send a tug out to get the floating container as it was a hazard to navigation. :D

I wonder how long back you would have to go before the solution would've been for the coasties to just sink it with their deck gun?

Michael

The value of the cargo was a lot more than $1K.

@michael-fisch

Give me the MBL number and container number once you've got it and I'll show you how to trace it on MSC's website.

@michael-fisch

Give me the MBL number and container number once you've got it and I'll show you how to trace it on MSC's website.
Thank you! Will do.:yeahbaby:

The boat leaves Antwerp on the 22nd of May and ends up in Savannah on 7 June.
I'm guessing that I'll be getting my container the 3rd week of June.
Since I only have 2 free hours to unload the container, I'll try to find 4 happily unemployed strong young men to help me unload and stack everything in my garage for cash. Guessing 2 guys in the container and 3 of us walking boxes into the garage. As soon as the container is empty, everybody gets paid off and the Corona Extra beer comes out.:cheers:

Michael

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom