I broke a zipper...can I fix it myself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you get a split-ring [small key chain ring] or zip-ty in the slider where the pull tab use to go ????.....

Just want to say 'I love this thread'. It's great to see the responses and solutions offered. Way to go DOGs!

Can you get a split-ring [small key chain ring] or zip-ty in the slider where the pull tab use to go ????.....

yep and in a short term pinch you can use a twistie from anything with one.. at least until you can fix it propertly.. check at west marine for a stainless steel split ring.

instead of cutting the stop off.. use a screw driver to pry it open, slide the old slider off and put a new one on and then recrimp the slider. Whole process will take about 10 min. You can usually find a slider by itself at any good fabric store in the notions dept.

Magnolia/j2s: I'm not sure where I could attach a zip-ty/twistie/ring. My picture may not be that clear, but the part of the slider that held the pull tab in place has broken off. The slider itself appears to be made of plastic, so I don't think it could pry apart without breaking.

I don't trust any local tailors around here to work on a $2000+ drysuit (and especially not my sewing skills) - I could see it coming back with multiple holes throughout the suit:no:

jwin, I'll send you a PM after I hear back from Kathy. If all else fails, I may try emoreira's idea - hoping I don't get epoxy through the slider into the zipper teeth.

Thanks everyone.

Magnolia/j2s: I'm not sure where I could attach a zip-ty/twistie/ring. My picture may not be that clear, but the part of the slider that held the pull tab in place has broken off. The slider itself appears to be made of plastic, so I don't think it could pry apart without breaking.

I don't trust any local tailors around here to work on a $2000+ drysuit (and especially not my sewing skills) - I could see it coming back with multiple holes throughout the suit:no:

jwin, I'll send you a PM after I hear back from Kathy. If all else fails, I may try emoreira's idea - hoping I don't get epoxy through the slider into the zipper teeth.

Thanks everyone.
Katch...look at the top of the zipper where the stops are.. stops look like small staples... IF they are metal you can pry them open gently and slide the slide right out.. OR look at the bottom of the zipper the stop there crosses across the zipper teeth.. If that is metal you can either gently pry it up and slide the slide out via the bottom and then (if you are lucky) bend the slide back on.. usually I just take a needle and buttonhole twist thread and simple make a stop by handsewing like I were sewing on a button.
I have replaced all kinds of zippers and slides over the years.
It is really easy if you take it to a good seamstress it should be a minimal job to replace the slide.
Look for a shop that does marine upholstery in your area. A tailor
might not understand how expensive your suit is, but the marine industry most assuredly will.

So I scrolled back up and looked at the photo.. the slide is at the bottom no? first turn the suit inside out and see if you can see the bottom of the zipper.. the stitching also creates a 'stop'.. I have seen many times that commerical zippers on the bottom do not have a true stop, just the stitching.. that would be an even easier fix.. good luck..

My LDS explained it to DUI, and they are covering it under the warranty. Thanks to everyone here for the advice.:worship: I would've tried some of these suggestions, but on a two month old suit...why take the chances.

The best part (timing wise) is that I have to fly out to southern Cali in two weeks for work. I'll be able to stop by DUI and pick it up in person. I set aside a day of the trip to do a little diving out there too. Anyone want to dive La Jolla shores on March 13th? I never dove there (or any ocean shore dive), so I'll likely be hiring a guide.

:cheers:
Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom