I can't clear in cold water - is it common?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ycyc1999

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've done most dives in warm water and never had problem clearing my ears. On two occasions I had trouble and had to either abort the dive or stay around 15 feet where my ears were not bothering me. I realized that both times the water temperature was low (one on a night dive and one in Catalina Island off California coast). I was cold and felt my sinus was blocked. I tried blowing while holding my nose, swallowing (or pretending to swallow) to clear but just can't. Once a while, I will have sinus problems on land during cold winter days. Has this happened to you before - you can clear fine in warm water but have trouble in cold water? Thanks!

I use to always have issue's clearing and my doctor told me to take a 12 hour sudifed the morning before diving and use 4 way or something of that type. I have never had issues clearing since. :D

Stacy

FWIW, my husband often has trouble clearing in cold water (by cold, I mean 40s-low 50s). He can usually do it but has to descend very slowly and clear frequently. He also will get incipient brain freeze (what you get when you eat ice cream too fast) in cold water if he tries to descend too fast.
You may need to use different equalization techniques in cold water, or expect to descend more slowly, but water temperature can definitely make it harder for some people to equalize.

A tight fitting hood can make it harder to equalize. Try adding to your equalizing routine a pull on your hood by your ears -- perhaps that will help.

SteveFass:
A tight fitting hood can make it harder to equalize. Try adding to your equalizing routine a pull on your hood by your ears -- perhaps that will help.
I have noticed this too help a lot...

ycyc1999:
I've done most dives in warm water and never had problem clearing my ears. On two occasions I had trouble and had to either abort the dive or stay around 15 feet where my ears were not bothering me. I realized that both times the water temperature was low (one on a night dive and one in Catalina Island off California coast). I was cold and felt my sinus was blocked. I tried blowing while holding my nose, swallowing (or pretending to swallow) to clear but just can't. Once a while, I will have sinus problems on land during cold winter days. Has this happened to you before - you can clear fine in warm water but have trouble in cold water? Thanks!

I had to cut a finger hole (slit) in each side of my hood so that I could pull it out from my ears. In nearly 30 years of diving I could never remember a time when I could not equalize. When I started diving dry about six years ago I got a 5 mm drysuit hood and I could not equalize. Put in the slits, let a little water in and I was good to go. This might work in really cold water but it does fine in 50 degree water.

Also try looking up and descend very slowly. I put a finger over each ear and swallow. I clear with no effort.

Dive 'N' Dolphin:
I use to always have issue's clearing and my doctor told me to take a 12 hour sudifed the morning before diving and use 4 way or something of that type. I have never had issues clearing since. :D

Stacy

I read your post and couldn't figure out what a 4-way is. Can somebody explain that?

I have had the same problem. Apparently some people have histamine released when their body gets cold. This can cause congestion of the eustachian tubes. There is an entity called "cold urticaria" where hives occurs on the skin with exposure to ice cold water. In the same way, I think some people sneezes, have runny noses, and congestion when they get chilled. Last year, I was inadequately dressed for a cold water lake. We descended and I got chilled. We had to ascend to correct a tank problem, but I was not able to clear on the second descend.

4-way is a nasal decongestant spray. Afrin also works. I have issues clearing my ears and my ENT recommended using Afrin two sprays 30 - 40 minutes before the dive and then one more 20 minutes later. The second spray gets back to the e-tubes to open them up.

This works for me but I'd talk to your Dr to get advice for you issue.

Also, spray decongestant are very addictive so only use it the day you dive.

my wifes doc. was a navel doc. for the navy divers he said to her the same thing about taking the anti histimings the day be for and a for a few days befor the dive also nasal spray but the saline stile

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom