i can't think of a better job

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lozzin

Reaction score
are there actually companies that hunt for sunken treasure? if there are how do i get hired. i would love to spend all day diving around an area looking for treasure and getting paid for it.

There are more private operations than "companies." Generally you need to know the right people, its not just a apply and you got the job kind of deal.

lozzin:
are there actually companies that hunt for sunken treasure? if there are how do i get hired. i would love to spend all day diving around an area looking for treasure and getting paid for it.

I doubt that it's that sexy. To me it comes across as a lot of looking through old documents and years upon years of begging for sponsorship, walking the thin line between being able to operate for another 3 months and permanent financial ruin, waiting for weather good enough to run endless search patterns towing a device over the bottom behind a boat. *IF* you ever find anything then it will inevitably spark off lawsuits because greed is the biggest constant in the universe and the whole world will claim ownership of the wreck, the treasure and right down to your underwear while both trying to eat the icing off your cake before you can and trying to make sure that you never get the chance.

There might be nice moments too but overall I think I'd rather get pooped on by an albatross than go through all that.

Just a thought.

R..

Odyssey Marine Exploration, Inc. (AMEX: OMR), is a leader in the field of deep-ocean shipwreck exploration: http://shipwreck.net/

They work mainly with ROV's on deep wrecks and probably only employ commercial divers for the stuff that is shallow.

The general idea with the treasure hunting buisiness is long hours, low pay and working under miserable conditions. The people who finance the grand adventures stand to make (or lose) money.

"Into the Blue" was just a movie.

Diver0001:
I doubt that it's that sexy. To me it comes across as a lot of looking through old documents and years upon years of begging for sponsorship, walking the thin line between being able to operate for another 3 months and permanent financial ruin, waiting for weather good enough to run endless search patterns towing a device over the bottom behind a boat. *IF* you ever find anything then it will inevitably spark off lawsuits because greed is the biggest constant in the universe and the whole world will claim ownership of the wreck, the treasure and right down to your underwear while both trying to eat the icing off your cake before you can and trying to make sure that you never get the chance.

There might be nice moments too but overall I think I'd rather get pooped on by an albatross than go through all that.

Just a thought.

R..

Diver0001 is right on! It's a lot of blood, sweat, and tears. And more often than not, you'll get more payoff working at McD's.

Take it from me, I did it on the side for years. But a few years back, the company I was with, finally lucked out and hit a little pay dirt. Which is why I am enjoying some semi-retirement these days.

Wreck Detective, can vouch for that as well, a little easier if ya get in good with a reputable salvage op.

Diver0001:

Just a thought.

R..

Thats why i report nothing and take everything. Being honest in this field dont pay

Mel Fishers outfit used to have a link to apply for a paid position as a recovery diver on their operations. I don't think it paid much, but it looked like a cool job for a single person, with no responsibilities and little need for money :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom