i can't think of a better job

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know some of the people at Mel Fischer's and RPM Tech and they do have a good time, but it's way more research than diving. Of course, if they hit a big one, everyone does well.

As a dirt archaeologist for years, I can tell you that wandering around a potential site looking for clues can be tedious as all heck.

I'm not saying I wouldn't do it, but it's not all glamour and gold.

Rachel

lozzin:
are there actually companies that hunt for sunken treasure? if there are how do i get hired. i would love to spend all day diving around an area looking for treasure and getting paid for it.
Hi,
I don't know about being hired to dive for them, but at one time, I was going to invest the minimum (then $7,000.00) to dive one of their wrecks and hopefully find some wonderful treasures. I may still do it someday.
There was a special regarding doing this on the Discovery channel a few years ago.
Who knows, if you contact them, you may get lucky and get a job.
Good Luck, Valerie

If you're serious about it, you could always work a regular job for a few years to earn enough capital to start your own company.

Good question; I tried treasure salvors, Mel Fisher's company, and they actually lease documented wreck site's. I believe I hears a thousand dollars a year and you get to keep what you find. After taxes. Be prepared to watch your find go to a vault,again, while lawyer's and politicans try to take it away from you. But in the end you will get it. Yes from my research it is long hours of reading documents and research, It took Mel and his boys twelve? years to finally find the Atocha. They are still bringing up treasure from her and the exhibit in Key West will only make you want to go more. Check out Treasure Salvor's or South Florida wreck sites. I'm hooked too. Hard to explain the feeling to one who isn't. I have always wanted to do it. Good luck! M60....Geronimo!

M60:
Good question; I tried treasure salvors, Mel Fisher's company, and they actually lease documented wreck site's. I believe I hears a thousand dollars a year and you get to keep what you find. After taxes. Be prepared to watch your find go to a vault,again, while lawyer's and politicans try to take it away from you. But in the end you will get it. Yes from my research it is long hours of reading documents and research, It took Mel and his boys twelve? years to finally find the Atocha. They are still bringing up treasure from her and the exhibit in Key West will only make you want to go more. Check out Treasure Salvor's or South Florida wreck sites. I'm hooked too. Hard to explain the feeling to one who isn't. I have always wanted to do it. Good luck! M60....Geronimo!

Im in Kew west now on Vacation and asked at Mel Fishers

Min of 10K to invest and this will allow you to dive

everything you find will go to them

at the end of every year all members get a % of the loot. Larger % will go to larger investors.

This is just a hobby for the rich that want a thrill.

For a look at a little of what was back in the 'good old days/bad old days' before the really big finds and government crackdown read, "Diving to a Flash of Gold" by MeLach (spelling of the name may be off, poor memory here).

Now it is more about battling to be able to look and then fighting to keep what you find than anything else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom