I don't care what you say - Hatteras is where its at!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maniago

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Best diving ever last weekend. Dixie Arrow. If you've been there, you know what I mean. I don't take credit for the video - I was too busy being in awe of Mother Nature!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2AWo7bkEeQ

We went off Daves boat on SemperDIVE's contracted weekend. Its the second time I've dove Dave's rig, and I like the operation. Out of happenstance, we had the same crew dogs, John and Rich, as my previous time. And they're both good people too. We picked up two divers from the UnderPressure the second day as its compressor went TU; they were fun to be with as well. Was just a great way to end the diving season all around.

I spent well over $2k diving for two in FL in Aug. I spent only a 1/4 of that on 2 for this trip and used my own tanks and car. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to noodle this one to a conclusion....

Where in fla. did you drop 2k for diving??? Last time I went to Pompano my weeks diving and trimix bill was only 1k.
Eric

West Palm Beach.

Flyx2, room x2x4days, rental car....$hit adds up. Add renting tanks for two. $2k would be our total cost everything included - food, gas etal. Kill the flights and the car, and difference in the cost of rooms, and we drop $1k+ off that to go to Hatteras....OC MD is even cheaper, but I have yet to have a dive there that was better than a quarry dive.....

I am going to hazzard a guess that you have not been off shore yet in O.C. or run down south? I am not trying to start the $hit storm, but the boat to dive in O.C. is the 6 pack run by Ted Green. 1 trip on that boat and you will be spoiled for life. His boat and the destinations are nothing like the inshore stuff. His web site is ocdiver.com. Run back through the trip reports in the mid atlantic forum I put up for a good idea of what diving in O.C. is really like.
Eric

I am going to hazzard a guess that you have not been off shore yet in O.C. or run down south? I am not trying to start the $hit storm, but the boat to dive in O.C. is the 6 pack run by Ted Green. 1 trip on that boat and you will be spoiled for life. His boat and the destinations are nothing like the inshore stuff. His web site is ocdiver.com. Run back through the trip reports in the mid atlantic forum I put up for a good idea of what diving in O.C. is really like.
Eric

Ah yes looks like you guys are diving doubles or rebreathers or are no-breathers and going a lot deeper than the wife wants to go and our gear will allow. We're happy around 100FSW on one tank of nitrox+pony, so if the deeps are what is required to get good conditions in OC, then yeah, not our bailiwick....

Location, location, destination. While we do indulge what you mentioned.... we do alot in the 100fsw or less that is spectacular, that others do not do.

Just a short list:
Barrel wreck
steel sailing ship
saitiae
parking lot barges
navy barges
Palmer
washintonian
fenwick shoals
winter quarter shoals

All of the destinations out of O.C. are tide,wind, and weather dependant. Just because the schedule said inshore reef, if the weather has been up you need to be flexible and go farther, but not deeper. Ted does alot of stuff that is less than 100fsw, and we all do these dives to keep our skills sharp for the stuff you mentioned.
Eric

Ok, I'm game for another look. Maybe let me know when you guys go out and I'll tag along for some solo hunting. That said, it'll be next spring. I'm in the pool doing classes for a while; haven't popped for a drysuit though its on the list of buys; and I'm knee deep in rebuilding my compressor. So many things to do, so little time!

I should be on the boat everY weekend starting the last weekend in June. I just hate for people to get the wrong idea about diving in O.C. based on poor choices for destination on any given day. If I only go to the 4th street park when it rains, the 4th street park must suck.
Eric

1 final thought. From reading SB you would think that there are a million people diving tech. The reality is the people actually doing it is miniscule compared to the people who are talking/argueing about it. So even though my reports reflect what I did, it does not reflect what the rest of the boat did. Typical rec dive 100fsw or less, I go in first, tie up, and stay past the first dives ndl.
Eric

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom